Anyone got a headset press I could use in Norwich?

slow_matt

Old School Hero
Hi,

As above, does anyone have one I could use in the area, would help kick start a build.

Cheers

Matt

Do people not use the old standby of a couple of lumps of 2x4 and a hammer anymore? :D

I "pressed" the cups into the headtube of many a bike that way over the years (including my FSR a month or two ago)

I would not recommend this method with any thin-walled tubing or if you aren't absolutely sure you're going to get them in square first time as a cracked/oval head tube isn't fun.

I'm one of "those" types of mechanic that will use the correct tools if they're either available or necessary (BB's, cranks and cassettes fall into the latter category!)

If you need to borrow two blocks of wood, quality like mahogany not just 2x4, and a large rubber mallet not a hammer :facepalm: I live just up the road from you and could give you a hand, it just takes balls thats all.

Happy to lend a proper one for a deposit and the postage. £40 deposit, £5 ish post?
PM if interested.

All the best,

Thanks for the offers,

The 2x4 is the method my dad taught me, I also learnt it took three hours of swearing and a tin of Castlemain xxxx…

Ill see what to do when a headset turns up at some point, may just bash it in to the Klein :)

Cheers

I've used the 'wood' method a couple of times without issue. I think you would have to be quite careless to do any damage. The ones i have does seem to 'tap' in easily.

Failing that you could make one using some threaded bar and large washers/nuts. £5 from B&Q?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back