7 to 8 speed frrehub swap... Does it work?

mrgumby

rBotM Winner
Can I turn my 105 7 speed wheelset into an 8 speed by swapping the frrehub from an old (knackered) 8 speed rear 105 wheel...

I can't think why it shouldn't work..

Thanks for help,
Matt

Not every freehub will work with every hub body, but I have successfully transplanted an 8-speed LX freehub onto a 7 speed M732 Deore XT hub so it could well work. You might have to change some spacers or bearing shields.

Don't forget that you will have to re-dish the wheel or it will sit off-centre in the framewith the wider freehub installed.

Its lots of messy fun and very satisfying when accomplished - just dont drink spirits at the same time otherwise blood may be spilt. Beer is allowed and a long playing album is advised.

Cassette side spokes will need tightening maybe 1 - 2 turns whilst the otherside should be let off a similar amount. (from memory)

Be methodical, start always from the valve and work round and have a bit of tape stuck to your hand in case you need to pee ( the tape gets stuck to the last spoke you worked on so you don't lose your place ).

Swapping to a wider freehub body is not difficult at all. I turned an older shimano xt m735, or whatever, 7 speed hub into a 9 speed by bolting on a freehub body from a nine speed lx hub. A wider axle is needed. Having a few spare spacers, cones and the likes helps too.
A wee bit of re-dishing and the wheel is great. The 9 speed sram cassette fits right on there, and the 8 speed suntour xc expert thumb shifter indexes an m751 xt mech superbly across the cogs. Experimentation is the key.

Latest posts

Back