er, 10-42T cassette anyone?

Guy in our club has just swapped to XX1 (from a 6 weeks old XX group) no complaints so far, the only ride I've joined him on was a sloppy, claggy sh1tfest.

I've managed with 1x10 (11-36) but I am getting old and weak so the moment Shimano copy this I'LL BE ALL OVER IT TOO.

in theory it is not a bad idea - getting rid of front shifter and 2 chain rings makes it simpler and lighter.

I wonder how long the chain will last having to be put thorugh such angles?????

Anybody ever tried/invented a sprung splined moving single front chain ring that would move across with rear mech just by chain tension?
(Sorry just thinking out loud, I'll go away again)

Ah that explains things. Guess there will be a weight saving in there somewhere. Clutch mech dispenses the need for a chain guide on the front. Cheaper large range cassettes may be heavy, but if you loose two chainrings off the front then you should still be better off. Can't justify the cost myself to change away from what I have.

Seriously, couldn't you just bolt a 42T chain ring on a 11-36 cassette, file away one tooth from the 11 sprocket and use thumbies in friction mode :LOL:

42T is for wussies

Drivetrain2.JPG

No idea what the owner is up to. Either he's going to attach a turbine to that or he's building a bike that can climb skyscrapers.

Having had a look its a very impressive setup but crazy money for most of us mere mortals.

There's some well thought out things like the front chain ring having completely different shaped teeth to the 'norm'

The cassette is machined so weight is only marginally heavier than a high end 9/10 speed mtb cassette.

It all makes a lot of sense simplifying the mechanicals, just have to see if it filters down to something more of us can afford.. For now I'm sticking with my 9speed triple setup. :shock:

Back