Carlton Super Course - restoration! **new paint**

Re: Carlton Super Course - restoration!

You're doing a great job and its looking much better than the early pics. You may find with some careful working down the seat tube you can improve that dent. Look on YouTube at dent removal. I'm not sure about swapping out all the Campagnolo though. A new Tange headset is going to be £25-30, I'd clean up the Gran Sport one along with the other Campagnolo components. The headset may not be a straight swap anyway, you'll need to check the existing stack height and make sure there's enough thread on the forks to fit a Tange headset.

Entirely up to you of course, but I'd leave the frame exactly as it is. You can't beat a bit of RatroRacer look and unless a frame is particularly rare or exclusive and warrants a restoration, the patina it's gathered over it's life all adds to it's character.

Nice job so far, by the way!

Robbied196":1n20ptdd said:
You're doing a great job and its looking much better than the early pics. You may find with some careful working down the seat tube you can improve that dent. Look on YouTube at dent removal. I'm not sure about swapping out all the Campagnolo though. A new Tange headset is going to be £25-30, I'd clean up the Gran Sport one along with the other Campagnolo components. The headset may not be a straight swap anyway, you'll need to check the existing stack height and make sure there's enough thread on the forks to fit a Tange headset.

Thanks for your wise words.

With respect to the headset, I already have a NOS tange headset in my 'stock room' so was simply going to swap them over as I would need to remove the headset anyway when / if I were to respray the frame.

Ralph_the_Rohan":207u0ohc said:
Entirely up to you of course, but I'd leave the frame exactly as it is. You can't beat a bit of RatroRacer look and unless a frame is particularly rare or exclusive and warrants a restoration, the patina it's gathered over it's life all adds to it's character.

Nice job so far, by the way!

Yes, I quite like the rat look too!

I am currently thinking about even rebuilding the rear wheel with an old, worn MA40 rim as the current one looks too new!

The rear rim appears to be completely un marked, not even a sign of any brake wear, but it looks out of place and is probably worth more than I paid for the whole bike!

It continues to take shape, slowly.

I will let you all play spot the difference!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 936

Further updates, brake hoods, super record pista front wheel with GP4 rim etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 565

Slight update.

I decided that the Carlton really deserved to be restored rather than being left as a rat bike... So...

The dent was removed by ramming a super long seat stem down the seat tube and then rolling the outside of the tube with a tube clamp and finally skimming off with a little filler.

The respray has begun and the new Carlton Transfers are on order...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 523
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 523
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 524

The frame is now in primer but the forks are done!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 521
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 521

Lots of rattle cans later and....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg