All rounder build advice

I'd love a pompino/pompetamine or their Planet X cousin the Kaffenback but at the moment I'm on a small budget and the framset and forks alone would eat up a considerable portion of it. Though the tyre clearance on them is about a 35mm CX tyre at most.

But yes the Google image search has frequently featured an on one flavour if only for ideas on this build...not sure if builds the right word since I don't even have a frame yet :? .

Well that's not strictly true i have a 94? Marin Hawkhill built up with guards and rack as a commuter and my old Carrera Krakatoa sitting forlornly in the shed. Both are 17.5" and after finally doing some research on it I've realised that at 5'11" with a 33" inseam and an ape like arm span of nearly 6'3" from finger tip to fingertip I should probably be riding a 20" mtb and 22-22.5" road CX frame...Or at least I think I should.

So if I use an old 501 or other Chromoly MTB frame for this all rounder project would it be better to go for say a 21" to make it more road like? Or am I talking out of my a***?

Cheers Andy

You could happily go for a 20 or 21" MTB frame. People routinely undersize old frames.

Get this bought (and can I have the bottle cage as a finder's fee?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Wildcat ... 43bb32dafd

$T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iK0vBRSZtwBFEg~~60_58.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nice find that Dawes. though I'm not sure i could get on with the colour. My other concern is if I'm converting it to drop bars and 700c wheels I'd be splitting an original bike up and I'd have to then buy new bars, stem, brake levers, bar end shifters and wheels tubes/tyres.

But I am tempted by it.

I found this last night and am seriously considering it but is it worth the BIN price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-1990-Ra ... 232abea163

Also anyone know of a good but cheap powder coater in the Angus area (Arbroath, Dundee, possibly as far as Aberdeen or Fife)

Andy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Looked at both, Green one is too big and the other is collection only. Its all academic now anyway I went and bought this. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-1990-Ra ... 8278850937

Going to wait till it arrives then look at wheel options, but I think at least 700x35 should fit, if so then a set of long arm V brakes (107mm+ ) and some adaptor plates to raise the pads, then to allow for the loss of leverage use canti or ordinary road levers...apparently...

Also just wanted to say thanks to all those who pointed me in the direction of frames/bikes, Kingoffootball, Doctor-bond.

Cheers

Andy

And that Enik, WOW :shock: someone's going to be a happy bunny winning that (not me though :( ).

Andy

Damn and I'd just been out to the shed to get the perfect all round elmer clunker frame.
21" c-t Scott town xc 700c 4130 mtb cromo frame with v brake mounts and double eyelets no less, poor cousin to the scott laredo... shame it's too late but it's the thought that counts. Back to the batcave with that one :roll:

A.D.R":3n3bd3cq said:
Looked at both, Green one is too big and the other is collection only. Its all academic now anyway I went and bought this. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-1990-Ra ... 8278850937

Going to wait till it arrives then look at wheel options, but I think at least 700x35 should fit, if so then a set of long arm V brakes (107mm+ ) and some adaptor plates to raise the pads, then to allow for the loss of leverage use canti or ordinary road levers...apparently...

Also just wanted to say thanks to all those who pointed me in the direction of frames/bikes, Kingoffootball, Doctor-bond.

Cheers

Andy

Nice, I'll look forward to seeing the build thread for it.

I assume you'll be kitting it out with its original 200GS! :LOL:

Back