Random, off the wall 'Help' topic...

We_are_Stevo

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I bought the Samsung notebook I'm composing this on from one of the many cashconverters outlets I pass during the course of a typical day; it cost me just £99 and I didn't think to question why it was £60 less than the identical notebook next to it (yes, I did test it out in the shop and it worked fine... :roll: ), and it seemed better than spending £50 more on a 10" Android tablet...

...it 'was' running Windows 7 Ultimate, though the 'username' that came up on the Device List was not something I could repeat outside of a Rap video and gave me some 'cause for concern' if I'm honest!

So, after about a month of faultless performance, the what I by now suspected of being a 'hooky' install of 7 Ultimate gave up the ghost and I had recourse to load the inbuilt 'Total Recovery' app; which was all very well until it booted up into the OEM 7 Starter, requiring a Username Password... :facepalm:

That was when I found that the BIOS was password protected too... :facepalm:

So far, so sh*te!

Googling eventually led me to Youtube, where a remarkable number of members are listed as offering a BIOS password recovery service, for free...

...I sceptically logged in and left my BIOS password error code in the Comments box as instructed; lo and behold, the next day, there was a reply, and the supplied BIOS password did work! :eek:

Still, how to get around the HDD password?? :? :?

Once again, Googling led me here...

http://www.passwordunlocker.com/windows ... overy.html

...from where I downloaded the 'Pro' version to my Desktop PC, created the bootable flashdrive as instructed, and rebooted the notebook with said flashdrive attached.

It is so simple I cannot recommend it highly enough; there may be 'hooky' implications to the whole scenario but, equally, we all forget important passwords and this solution can save so much hassle (Microsoft website says only option is to reload the Operating System!) it is definitely worth the initial outlay...

...just thought I'd pass that on in case it can help someone else out of a similar dead end :cool:

Bypassing the password is a pretty easy thing to do on Windows 7, or any version of windows to be honest, and resetting the bios is not too difficult either depending on which laptop you have. Nothing is that secure with computers!

Guitar106Music":1sbzbg6y said:
Bypassing the password is a pretty easy thing to do on Windows 7, or any version of windows to be honest, and resetting the bios is not too difficult either depending on which laptop you have. Nothing is that secure with computers!

That may be so but if one is not technically gifted in that respect, perhaps not...

What's this Windows 7 all about? I've got a Samsung Note 10.1 and it's a piece of shite.

Got it for two things

The pen so I can dispense with paper contracts to save time and take away an objection (people will sign a screen quicker than paper).

Being able to dispense with a bulky folder and show a presentation on the screen either by video, ppt, slideshow or whatever.

The first bit is fine. The second is a PITA to set up. I can't find any app to do what I want, I can't drag and drop files, and generally it's crap to use. Typing is one handed and the other hand is sore from holding the poxy thing.

Battery life and portability wise it's great. For everything else a bog standard laptop pisses all over it. WTF are they so popular?

And back to the question- can I install Windows instead of Android and will it improve my experience?

Generally speaking you can't install windows on a 'droid device due to the fact they don't run on an x86 processor (it may be possible to put windows mobile 8 on one but read on for why this might not work either).

The other issue would be drivers, non-windows based tablets use all kinds of different hardware compared to a windows machine (graphics drivers are one area that immediately springs to mind, along with probable network driver issues.

Best option for an alternate OS would likely be some flavour of Linux like Tabuntu

There is a method of entering a system without the start up password.

But i cant tell you as im sworn to secrecy ;)
Dont be worried its not dodgy but involved removing the case cover to access the motherboard
This is an entry system for pc base units im not sure the layout on a laptop moby is the same :?

graphics drivers are one area that immediately springs to mind

:evil: I hates them.really's i do

Elysarian":1u235c2g said:
Generally speaking you can't install windows on a 'droid device due to the fact they don't run on an x86 processor (it may be possible to put windows mobile 8 on one but read on for why this might not work either).

The other issue would be drivers, non-windows based tablets use all kinds of different hardware compared to a windows machine (graphics drivers are one area that immediately springs to mind, along with probable network driver issues.

Best option for an alternate OS would likely be some flavour of Linux like Tabuntu
Thanks, but I think I'll just make do, less chance of buggering it up.

I'll make it work for my purposes eventually but I still think that for 90% of uses and users they're basically pointless.

They're perfect for 90% of users, who check email, update facebook/twitter/google+ and browse the web and do a bit of online shopping.

They even extend to music and video watching...

For the few who use tablets to actually work on they are crap.
That's why other 'computer' formats and OS's are available.

Back