Working out what part is what! (how to ID Campag parts)

LukeFRC":h02ohvit said:
kettlo":h02ohvit said:
The older crankset is Campagnolo Victory. Very collectible. I tried for a long time to get a decent one. They look brilliant when cleaned and polished up. From around 1986.

You seem to have most of a campag group and it will build up to be a great bike...

Sell the shimano on here to fund the build....

Stephen

:) yep hoping it will all come together. few Q. -
Any opinion on what parts to bolt on? So many options! or just try and see?
why sell the shimano? - are the veloce breaks better?

No reason really....I just love Campagnolo :D :D

You have what looks like a mix of Campagnolo Mirage and Veloce deraileurs, Mirage brakes, Mirage shifters, Victory crankset, Cinelli 1A stem, Nitto stem and the two Shimano brakes. All of it is from the 90s with the exception of the Victory cranks which were out for a short time in the mid eighties.

The markings on the cranks: 170=crank length; 9/16"x20F=pedal thread (English); The 11 in the square is a date code (1985 according to Velo Retro) as is the 31 although it is out of sequence; 53 x39 are teeth counts for the chainrings

lewisfoto":3qhjbets said:
You have what looks like a mix of Campagnolo Mirage and Veloce deraileurs, Mirage brakes, Mirage shifters, Victory crankset, Cinelli 1A stem, Nitto stem and the two Shimano brakes. All of it is from the 90s with the exception of the Victory cranks which were out for a short time in the mid eighties.

The markings on the cranks: 170=crank length; 9/16"x20F=pedal thread (English); The 11 in the square is a date code (1985 according to Velo Retro) as is the 31 although it is out of sequence; 53 x39 are teeth counts for the chainrings

thanks lewisfoto! Newer than I thought most of it was!

At the moment I'm thinking....
Veloce cranks,
the nicer front derailure if I can find the missing bolt (any clues?) or the other one if not,
10speed veloce rear,
the in built break/shifters
and I think the shimano breaks seem far better and i'm erring towards them.
Stem... whichever fits me better, start with the cinelli one.

will this all work together? good idea? will the 9 speed indexing work with the 8 speed rear cassette?

Any idea/recomendation where to get the odd spare part, like the bolt on the front derailure, a chainring bolt...

can't wait to get it all together!

On the gear compatibility:
Campag cassette spacing is different for 8,9 and 10 speed, so you cannot mix and match shifters and cassettes.
They also changed the pull per click when they shifted to 10 speed in 2001 so there are two generations (pre and post 2001), which you cannot mix. The good news is that your mech and shifters are both post-2001.

Campag 8 has the same 5.0mm spacing as Shimano 7 (and Campag 7). So your setup would work perfectly on a Shimano 7 cassette, and if you kept it all clean you might get 'near enough' on Shimano 8.

Campag 8 cassettes must not be used on Campag 9 speed (or later) wheels - they fit but the splines are too shallow and chew up the aluminium freehub body. 8 speed cassette spacers can be used with a dismantled 9 speed cassette to get a modern 8 speed setup on a 9/10 speed hub.

Looks like a victory crankset (same as mine from '86), The older rear mech looks very similar to the one on my bike which is an early indexed record one from around 1990, although the quality doesn't look as good ( it will still look nice with a polish on it).

Tom200":3nchh8f4 said:
Looks like a victory crankset (same as mine from '86), The older rear mech looks very similar to the one on my bike which is an early indexed record one from around 1990, although the quality doesn't look as good ( it will still look nice with a polish on it).
thanks tom! I ended up sticking on the other crankset so will probablytry find somewhere to sell the victory one.

one more question for you all....
so I got a frameset like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-SPECI ... 3381f863f9 but without the bigger raleigh stickers. It's beautiful....
and quite a bit too big for me, being about 60cm seat tube (im 5ft 7in) i can fit on it (being used to big frames) but 0 clearance of top tube. for my first skinny tired bike.... should I be looking for a smaller frame? I've kinda been putting it all together in the blind hope that it will be ok but really not sure.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Frame size....oh dear

Yeah that frame is too big for you, yes you probably could force the situation but it will be most uncomfortable and possibly not safe. Likely you would fit something in the 53 to 55 cm range depending on how long your legs are compared to your torso. Maybe you clould try a few friend's bikes to see what works best.

lewisfoto":3behghq6 said:
Frame size....oh dear

Yeah that frame is too big for you, yes you probably could force the situation but it will be most uncomfortable and possibly not safe. Likely you would fit something in the 53 to 55 cm range depending on how long your legs are compared to your torso. Maybe you clould try a few friend's bikes to see what works best.

so.... thing I learnt today....
you fix the gears and chain of your new bike and take it to a nice flat road to test them.
I learned a number of things.
One the bike is a joy to get going, the nice low position.

two the gears work.

three. the flat road was actually downhill, nice bike picks up speed easily

four. oh !@£$ I hadn't fitted the breaks yet.....

silly Luke!

so frame size.... thoguhts of a newbie here.... correct me where I am wrong.

the saddle is the same height as on my mtn bike - so stopping at lights and the like are similar. Length wise it is obviously not as upright as the mtn bike but with my long torso I don't feel cramped up or stretched out on the bars. (or should they be under my chest more?)
so the main difference between my current bike and this one is the stepover height is an inch or two higher....

so comfort wise.... i think it would work - safety wise.... what's the danger? what's the problem with oversized frames (on safety and riding?)
Interested, need to work out what I would do if it turns out to be too big.

Re: WOOOOPP!

WOOOO so just got the breaks on and took her out for her first gentle ride.... and amazing! So much fun, and slightly scary as such a different beast to my trusty mtn bike. Rides like a dream mind, slightly scary not having the breaks "to hand" in such an imediate way that I'm used to but pretty awesome!

Fit wise.... well I didn't have any problems - if anything I ended up sticking the saddle up more as I rode. Tentitvness about where the breaks are meant I didn't go too quick but boy you can tell it would! The most awesome thing was going up a small hill and being able to push... and it goes up with so little effort! :D

The only troublesome thing is I think I need work out my handlebars - much prefered being on the drops but the breaks felt in the wrong place for my stubby little fingers and ended up with my hands cramped in the curve. On the tops didn't feel right either so need to go read up on angles for breaks and stuff - drop the breaks down a bit and rotate the bars a bit and it should all feel a bit more natural.

happy me, and the stuff I ended up sticking on ebay so we'll see if I can get some of my petrol money back for going getting this bike! :)

Back