ID 1960s Sun five-speed

campag34a

Retro Newbie
Can any Retrobikers -- perhaps OldTel -- please help to identify a Sun five-speed I've acquired? The LH rear drop-out reads "SV 11110 X", so could it be a Sun Super Vitesse? The head badge reads "Sun Birmingham", and the previous owner says he was given the bike in 1965, "third-hand".

Sadly it's in poor condition, although rideable. Wheels are steel/rust 27"x1 1/4", with a 40-hole alloy Milremo flip-flop hub at the rear. Transmission is via a Williams 3-arm cottered steel chainset, Benelux lever on a brazed-on fitting and Huret Svelto derailleur.

There's a Brooks leather saddle with large copper rivets, possibly a B17, but the metal badge has disappeared. Bars are Maes alloy drops, with a steel stem that has an oval brass plate riveted to the top, again almost illegible but appears to read "Eng..." ie England, so maybe GB? Rear brake is GB Sport Mk II, with a front Weinmann Talon. Levers don't match, only one GB Arrete. Seat-post stuck in frame... stem stuck in steerer tube...

The frame is 22" C-to-T, and looks originally to have been a pale blue. Lugwork is sturdy rather than beautiful. For an all-steel bike, though, it feels surprisingly light and is perfectly pleasant to ride.
Any assistance on year of production gratefully received.

Hi, piccies woud help, or a link to a picture. The 's' would indicate 1951/2, so there's your answer, the 'v' is just the workshop it came out of ( it's a 'L' - lightweight bespoke shop, that's reserved for the best Sun / Parkes frames ). The 'x', I believe is a non standard build, i.e. the top tube maybe longer than standard - yours may be 22" seat, but a 23" top tube. The steel stem is probably a sun wasp badged one, which is quite desirable. Always good to see a Birmingham Sun getting back on its feet. Terry

Thanks very much indeed Terry, that's really helpful information and quite intriguing, as the bike and me could be the same age! I will try to post a pic but I don't know about getting this particular Sun back on its feet -- it's pretty much on its knees, unfortunately. The stem-bolt looks like it's been attacked with a lump hammer, and there's very little left at the top to get a spanner round. Thanks again for your interest and prompt reply,
Steve (in Cambridge, as it happens, so not too far away)

Hi Steve, don't give up on it, I realise there is a point of no return, but I've restored some wrecks in the past, often left soaking in plus gas for weeks, its surprising what can be done. There's plenty of expertise on the forum, and I'm alway happy to give some advice, if required. Terry

More cleaning shows I mis-read the frame number: it begins WSV, not simply SV. Apologies. Here -- I hope -- are some pictures at last

Attachments

• sunpix 002.jpg
    sunpix 002.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 786
  • sunpix 003.jpg
    sunpix 003.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 786
  • sunpix 004.jpg
    sunpix 004.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 785
  • sunpix 005.jpg
    sunpix 005.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 786
  • sunpix 001.jpg
    sunpix 001.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 785
Hi Steve,
That has cleaned up fine. The serial number and picture does show it to be a 1955/56 ( super ? ) Vitesse, the 1955 catalogue shows only a Vitesse, but the serial number has it as a super vitesse, usual proof that real cycle sales and catalogue info can vary. Good luck with restoration, its got some nice period components, should tidy up nicely. Terry

Attachments

• sun_vitesse_1955.png
    sun_vitesse_1955.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 778
Back