looking for a Project for me and the boy.

supermario

Dirt Disciple
Looking for a bike to fix up .. ... First one where should I look,. And what's a good bike for us to start on.Cheers guys.

Definitely need a little more information like what type of bike you like, how much do you want to spend, will it be a rider of something to resell oh and where are you located?

eBay, gumtree, etc.

Do you know about bikes ie their value, quality, etc? If you're looking to make some money you'll need to be on the ball, if its a bit of fun/ father + son bonding then that's all well and good.

I am just getting into this got my first road bike . But I am very handy . Just loving old road bikes . Think it's starting to take over my life.lol And I would just love to learn to restore bikes.not trying to make money off it but would be good to fix something and sell it on to keep the wife of my back. She thinks I have to many bikes in the house.
Also would be great to share something with the wee man. Thanks for your time.

I'd look around the net, Ebay, Gumtree but do plenty of research on makes and models. Watch some listings on Ebay and see what they make. Look out for odd end times, like 3am in the morning :) or Buy it nows. Once you know what to look for the odd bargain may turn up, but they are few and far between on Ebay. Lots of other people are doing the same thing. There's plenty of bikes you could spend £100 on and they will be worth less. I'd avoid entry level stuff, look out for Reynolds 531 or Columbus frames, forged drop outs, integral gear hanger and quality components. Stay away from anything that desperately needs respraying unless its 'special'.

supermario":vxuuyn8o said:
i am looking for somthing we could fix up and prob sell on....

Whilst I'm not wanting to come across as condescending, that was probably not the best statement with with regard to asking for advice :roll:

tarloone i don't understand what you mean i am not out to try make money out of doing something like this . i would like just to learn for the love of doing it . i am asking for advice bec i am interested . AND YES i would love to bring a old bike back to life and have someone take pleasure in riding it what is wrong with that..
cheers

If its for a hobby or a business I can't see the problem, the results are the same, more vintage bikes get saved and used.

Back