Bought a bike from a guy at the pub (now with pics)

there isnt a serial number on the frame. there is a stamp that says e sb?

i think it will look good if polished. i started on a patch of the frame already and its come up ok

the frame is generic and for the most part un interesting, for me, i'd strip it and either build the choice bits on a better frame or flogging it and funding a more appropriate bike.

Generic or not, it is from an era when Al was the dog's and is perfectly worthy.

Welds look good and as Edy says, it will polish up nice.

:)

hooray!!!!! thats just what I wanted to see... Finding bikes like this is what being a retrobiker is all about.Probably the best ton you spent lately, I'll give you that the frame ain't exactly a retroholics dream but the cranks are pure genius. Get the frame anodised to match the cranks and go purple bling, best way to start a build with the most desirable poor mans gold......
Well done young padouin the force is strong in you

i think these frames will have a place in retrohistory. they were so common, no one saved them.
like the ford cortina of the alloy frame boom. look after this frame....i seriously don't know of another anymore!!

Re: Bought a bike from a guy at the pub

drystonepaul":2d3hz9l6 said:
It's a bit of a parts bin special but there are some nice bits on that. Certainly good for the money.

Not sure what the frame is but the forks and cranks look good.

My thoughts exactly :/

Also have to chuck my tupoppence in :? Personally i dont see the great appeal of cooks. Admittedly those are less likely to crack as have so many ive seen(and owned.
Given the cranks are in nice condition and have pace rings then £120 should cover that and about 50-70 for the forks dependent in internal condition.
the wheels are probably XT,cant quite make them out on my screen :? Thumbies possibly deore and the xt mechs.
Overall if you wanted to split it you could make a couple of hundred possibly 350 :?
For this you could nip down to hellfrauds and buy a bike that wouldnt survive 6 months use on the road never mind offroad.

Keep it :D maybe sell the cranks to pay for other bits you want to upgrade to.
As a runaround it would be great for that which is kind of what it is about really. :?

The other thing i feel i have to add is if a guy had offered my that bike in a pub for only £100 then i would guess it wasnt his to begin with :? I mean, no offence to you but unless this person was known to you and not a complete stranger then the chances of it being knicked are about 99%.
Plus. Anyone who owned and built it would know exactly what it was worth and would not be asking a ton only. chances are this is stolen.
I suggest that you take note of the serial number and post that up.Or a pic of the underside of the BB shell.

Of course it might just be luck and the seller was selling Dad's/gramps bike without knowing anything,just looking for extra drinking funds or something.It's just the £100 figure is making me suspect foul play.

Im frequently wrong ;) :LOL:

imo that bike is horrendous.
100 pounds for that seems a lot of money to me.
some of the parts could be sold, but they don't look in the best condition.

if i'm being honest, i'm not that keen on the look of the bike at the moment either. but i think it has potential.

as for the comments regarding my aquisition of the bike. the bike was bought from a friend of my father. I've also known the guy for years too. i spoke to him when i was considering getting a bike and he recommended that rather than buy a bike, borrow one of his as he doesnt ride any more (he's in his 60's now). i borrowed this bike from him for several months and never used it. he told me at the time that he had bought top quality parts for the bike when he built it.

he then chased me to see if i wanted the bike or not and i decided to buy it, thinking i'm bound to use it one day. i took it in to be serviced a few weeks back and the shopowner pointed out how desirable some of the parts were. hence me checking the web and finding this site.

i checked for a serial number yesterday and there isnt one under the Bottom bracket shell. being totally honest, it looks like it may have been removed. i'm not totally sure ok this though. how deep is there serial number normally engraved? because there are no flat patches which would indicate that something has been ground away. but the aluminium is a different coulour along the BB. i couldnt have a good look last night because it was dark and in the shed, under artificial light. i will check properly later and post daytime pics.

It's a good purchase when you consider the value of some of the parts.
if there's no serial number on the frame, bin it and use all the parts on a new retro frame.
Frames can be picked up pretty cheap.

But if you like the frame too much, polish it up with some rubbing compound.

serials are usually under the bottom bracket or the seat dow n tube but can also be on the rear stays,headset or even on top of the crank

edy172":197yg34x said:
as for the comments regarding my aquisition of the bike. the bike was bought from a friend of my father. I've also known the guy for years too. i spoke to him when i was considering getting a bike and he recommended that rather than buy a bike, borrow one of his as he doesnt ride any more (he's in his 60's now). i borrowed this bike from him for several months and never used it. he told me at the time that he had bought top quality parts for the bike when he built it.

Does he have others that he wants to part with? :D

Back