GT people! Mt Shasta Fork - on a Zaskar?

MADJEZ":1gcewzra said:
Its was a lower priced sub-brand for sale through Wall-mart etc as far as I know.
Think they only did if for a few years in the mid-90s and obviously used a lot of stock parts.

Im not convinced by this :?
Reading any of the early cats' does not imply cheap. You cannot call the Ti xizang cheap :? especially as its groupo was xtr.
In fact as every frame has the same al tera decals.So by the reckoning GT only sold cheaply made bikes at expensive prices and in supermarkets
I dont buy it :?
Sure i could be totally wrong but it doesnt sound like it.

dyna-ti":ylanbn7o said:
MADJEZ":ylanbn7o said:
Its was a lower priced sub-brand for sale through Wall-mart etc as far as I know.
Think they only did if for a few years in the mid-90s and obviously used a lot of stock parts.

Im not convinced by this :?
Reading any of the early cats' does not imply cheap. You cannot call the Ti xizang cheap :? especially as its groupo was xtr.
In fact as every frame has the same al tera decals.So by the reckoning GT only sold cheaply made bikes at expensive prices and in supermarkets
I dont buy it :?
Sure i could be totally wrong but it doesnt sound like it.

You are totally wrong :D

Think you misread my previous post.
GT Bicycles was completely seperate from Mt Shasta. Xizang etc were all proper GT bikes.

Mt Shasta was their sort of 'Skoda' brand, decent quality but mostly lower end/budget than the
main GT bikes. They had non-triple triangle frames and I think they did a few decent spec ones at the top of the range just for a bit of reflected glory, most of the ones sold were lower end and in supermarkets.

This provokes me to put up some info and pics on my own Shasta Tempest, must do that soon..

'Ere..

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 9#p1816119

The top model was the Tempest and was priced in the region of £750, with Deore XT mechs, Onza bar ends, Rock shox 21's or those forks ^^

I have dug around seeking an explanation as to how/why Mt. Shasta came to be.

They ran from 90-93 apparently but I can only ever find '93.
They were imported by Caratti.
The colour schemes for the USA models were different for the UK's
One point I came across, from two separate sources is that GT used Mt.Shasta as a subsidiary brand for shops near to current GT dealers in a ploy to take up floor space that would otherwise be taken up by competing brands. (?) Apparently, Shasta was quietly dropped as GT became a ripper of a success.
They made a T6061 Alu framed version, I'm damned if I can anything about that in print.

I thought they were just an off shoot of the mtb ranges , bit like Robinson powerlite and dyno and others in the bmx's ranges
As for zaskar forks , gt bolognas 3d's as mercx recomends , spinner x's , the marinlites are good too ,or if you have loads of cash , syncros/bonty/ pace

Back