Raleigh competition '83

fossala

Retro Guru
I picked this up last week for 100 quid. I'm not sure what it is worth but it's in good condition (odd scrape on paintwork but the rest seems very very good). The only thing that is not original is the saddle, but I will replace it with a brooks anyway. Picked it up as a 2nd bike if my croix de fer broke, but I'm starting to really like it.

Here is the catalog page http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalo ... l83_04.jpg

Any thoughts on the bike?

Hi,

That is the same catalogue as my Rapide - 1983 if my memory is working. Nice bike and it should be relatively easy to restore (if required). The lack of seat should not be an issue - i am not fussed on the original one!! Get your Autosol out and get to work. I will be interested to see pics of your bike to get a comparison with mine as to the condition of the paintwork and scrapes etc (patina).

Richard

I can get a picture up in the next few hours for you. I have autosol because I use it for my straight razors, will get to work ;)

Really bad at taking pictures but here are a few.
HLIEhxW.jpg

PbM8ng1.jpg

DVmtfCV.jpg

It's got one of them paint jobs where it's a different colour from different angles. I have rang round a few painters to get it repainted but they all said it didn't come in until the 90's. Catalog/my bike says otherwise.

Thanks -

Here is my Rapide - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=228672

The first pics show a few scrapes and dirt and with a little time and effort it came up well, my neighbour thought it was new when he saw it!!! My only comment about the build is that it took much longer than i expected - i am almost finished now and i got the wheels this week so just a few things to sort out and it will be done - 6 months to complete and i, initially, thought a couple of weeks!!!

Richard

The bike looks in great condition (and i prefer that saddle!). A wash and matching tyres will make a world of difference. The only problem you MAY have (maybe not) are the brake hoods - a common headache. Good buy for £100 IMHO, i would not sell my Rapide for anything close to that but sentimental value is always more than monetary.

Good luck with the spruce up,

Richard

I have the original brake hoods, but they are cracked and falling apart, same with the bar tape.

One question while I have someones attention, I've never done any vintage bike work before and I can't work out how to take the brake leavers off...

As for sentimental value this has non. The guy I bought it from got it as a race issue bike from ribble in the 80's. Raced it for 2 years then just stored it in his garage. Only got rid as he was moving.

Re the brake levers

If you release the brake cables and pull the lever back to the bars - look inside it from the front and there will be an allen key behind the cable - undo the allen key and the lever comes off.

You have come to the right place for queries!!!

Richard

Back