Passport about to run out....

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Quick question in the hope that other forum-ites might be able to help; my 10-year passport runs out soon, and even though I've no real interest in globetrotting (I only got the thing in the first place due to coercion from an ex and her mother for holiday purposes), do I still need to renew it for renewal's sake to provide ID when changing employers, or would a new workplace be content with an NI card and birth certificate*?

Thanks in advance for pointers.

David

*Being a non-driver I don't have a full licence either but do have a provisional photocard one.

Well, I've never owned a passport in my life, too afraid of the big bad world :D, and have never had a need for it as identification whether for employment or anything else.

If you never intend on travel again, then is there any point in renewing it, but if there is a maybe at all then yes as it will cost you lot's more if you have to reapply for one that has lapsed, as far as I know.

Edit, didn't see about the drivers licence, don't know if provisional counts as I've always used my full, don't see why it shouldn't though.

Alison

I would advise to renew it on the basis that if no hurry then no hassle, but we had to renew my daughters in a hurry (SWMBO booked the holiday anyway :roll: ), we did the same day service, but limited availability and despite having the application and photo looked over by someone at the post office, it was rejected at the first attempt and I had to phone up again for another appointment, travel again to the nearest office, 50 miles away, the same photo was now acceptable etc etc was all sorted in the end but the first appointment seemed plagued by additional rules that weren't printed anywhere, like your dentist (who has one of the qualifications necessary) if they are your dentist - no commercial relationships ? really ? anyway, all a big pain but only because we needed it in a hurry

Haven't had a passport for years and had no problems but then again nobody wants to know who I am anyway :cry:

Photo Driving Licence usually does for most things accompanied by another identification.

What Daugs said!

Never underestimate the stress and panic caused by booking a holiday then needing to get your passport renewed in time, or maybe a surprise trip abroad?

Yep, renew it - it can be tricky proving who you are these days as people are getting more fussy about what "proof" they'll accept (even an older style paper driving license isn't counted as valid ID with a lot of people) and a passport is always good.

I've only used my current one as ID to fly within Britain and have no real desire to travel anywhere further ever again but it's the only photo ID I have and as others have said getting a new one once the old one has expired is much more difficult and time consuming than just renewing.

An out of date passport is fine to use as id and shouldn't be questioned by anyone except Immigration officials. If the photo in your expired passport was taken after you were 18, then you should be fine. Obviously if you are in no rush to either provide id, or travel abroad then I'd renew just for peace of mind if nothing else. Some countries don't have expiry dates on their passports, you get one when you're 18 and it lasts for the rest of your life. Obviously your face changes, but you can still travel on it regardless.

Sorry, but how does anyone at your age still not have a driving licence? I thought I was late at 26, although I admire you not getting swept up into the car lark, it is very useful to have a full licence.

Alison

my wife didn't get her driving licence until she was 31 as grew up in London, I got mine at 17 as in Kent but didn't have a car for years when living and working in London, just don't need one.

With all the hassle associated with passports and the photo driving licence has to be renewed anyway, I think it makes sense to have one, not least as much easier to renew than get one from scratch, not sure the benefits of not having one rather than arguments to get one or need one, just my view.

I don't have a driving licence, never needed one. filthy dirty habit :) id look into the cost of having a new passport and getting an old one re-issued. I recently had to get a new one and it was a pain in the arse to get the photos verified.

Back