Alpinestars AlMega - love it but...

cmmolloy1

Devout Dirtbag
So there I am
Burning around on my new but old Al mega dx remembering fondly how my old one used to be... Enjoying how responsive and surprisingly lightweight it is....
But those shifters are shite! I can't remember them being so ergonomically poor. I thought they were pull with your index finger or push with your thumb or is my memory playing tricks on me? They are the standard Deore Dx that came with the bike as new I believe.
I can't put up with these but notice they are one piece with the brake lever too. I would prefer thumbies to these.
Any suggestions on easier replacements or alternative and approx prices? It's 7 speed.
Ta very much

Get some dx mt60 thumbies off the site £25-30 then either get some std brake levers or remove Sti's and chop mount brackts off I did mine with a dremell
Spence

Another option would be the next incarnation of DX Sti which were/are a more user friendly push/pull type,(sorry cant remember the model number)got the same issue on my Cro-Mega DX, the push/push is not at all intuitive after years of push/pull shimano shifters!!!

assuming your sti's work ok i wouldn't cut the shifters off the mounts, just buy some thumbies as has been suggested and some dx brake levers, it would keep the retro originality, make it how you want it and the sti's will cover the guts of the new parts cost.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Yes they in good nick I just think the design is- well- crap.
Anyone know what the pull push dx's were called so I can start my search? I'm not looking to keep 100% originality and would consider some xt's but dx's would be nice.
My mate had some cracking XTs on a carrera Quattro comp back in the day they were ace!
Ta
Chris

cmmolloy1":1tb1q2yj said:
Thanks for the replies fellas. Yes they in good nick I just think the design is- well- crap.
Anyone know what the pull push dx's were called so I can start my search? I'm not looking to keep 100% originality and would consider some xt's but dx's would be nice.
My mate had some cracking XTs on a carrera Quattro comp back in the day they were ace!
Ta
Chris

I guess its what you are used to I have the DX and XT push push levers and really like them...I also have the latest XT shifters on my modern bike that are 2 way release and push/pull and they are great too! If you want to keep it retro though the push/pull ones you are after are:

Shimano DX ST-M075
Shimano XT ST-M095

There are these XT ones on ebay at the mo...not mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deore ... 4d0c62f320

Hope this helps.

Doug

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Oooh I like those Doug
How much should I pick these up for- are they like £30 or £100? As you can tell I really have no idea....!

no more than about £40 mate. I sold some in much better shape than than those for about £25 though, so bargains do come up ;)

cmmolloy1":32jjc9q6 said:
Oooh I like those Doug
How much should I pick these up for- are they like £30 or £100? As you can tell I really have no idea....!

Well I would say those would probably would go for between £30-45ish or if your pockets are limitless there is this NOS set!! :shock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/shimano-ST-M0 ... 27d0ca3b52

;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back