Info on Diamondback's 1985 line up? 80s in general?

frantik

Retro Guru
So, from my research on Diamondback MTBs, it seems they came out with the Ridge Runner in 82/83.

In 1984, DB had a small line of MTBs with various "Streak" names.. the Ridge Runner was renamed the "Mean Streak" and the Trail Streak and Sand Streak were also offered. (see 1984 Diamondback Catalog

I'm pretty sure the Apex and Ascent were added in 1986. I have an early Apex which was manufactured in late 1985 and I suspect was offered as a 1986 model based on the review of the Apex in Mountain bike magazine in early 1986

So this leaves me wondering about the line up for 85.. was it more of the "Streak" bikes?

Looks like the Arrival (aluminum) frame was introduced in 1987. I think the Ascent EX was first offered that year too. Here's the line up and specs from 1987

I think the Axis was added in 88. I wish I could find an Axis around here! Here's a real nice 1988 catalog

And to round out the decade, the 1989 catalog can be found right here on Retrobike thanks to Frotz. Looks like the Axis Team was the high end bike of the year. Something unique about 1989 is the higher end models all have straight tapered forks.

It seems like DB kept this basic naming scheme into the 90s, adding more variations of the higher end models and also adding the Response line of suspension bikes.

Any info on the early 80s thru 86 would be really appreciated :)

Yeah, I'm aware of that guy's page. But his Serial #N6G0790 is from 1986, not 1985.

The tubing is also Tange MTB which I believe is the "upgraded" 1986 model. In the March/April 1986 review they mention the tubing as Ifinity. I have a N5 serial # Apex manufactured in late 1985 with Infinity tubing.

On another site I even have my bike listed as a 1985, but now I think it's a 1986 "model year".

it seems like 85 is the "black hole" year of no info LOL

Rampage":2c5h33fh said:
Interesting, I thought the first Axis was in 1989.

nope.. but definitely one of the coolest looking ones came out in 1989 :)

bumping this thread for the monday crew

I have a 1982 Ridge Runner, but I don't think I can provide you with much information that isn't readily available.

To add further confusion there were some Centurion mtb's which were Diamondbacks using the normally roadbike only name of the parent company behind Diamondback.
I have a Centurion Starlight which apears to be a DB Apex circa 1985

Back