Proflex 854 swing arm bush removal

Andy T

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hi folks I wonder if anyone can advise?

I've managed to pick up a rather nice Proflex 854 for returning to the hills (thanks Juss), I've stripped it down as far as I can go without some advice.

Can anyone tell me how the swing arm bushes are removed, both those at the forward (frame end of the arm) and those at the rear of the swing arm.

Once these re out I can get it off to the painters for a make-over :D

Notice how a steel bottom bracket and an aluminium frame get on so well together :!:

I'd rather not destroy them if it can be avoided.
Ta Andy :D

Hi,
I've restored a few of these bikes... I soak the area in WD40 overnight and leave on it's side to allow the WD to work.
The bushes are in two parts, they are a light press fit into the frame.
Unscrew the Allen bolt and screw into the opposite side, bolt sticking out from the frame,giving you a way of moving the bush around.
Lightly tap and twist the bush using the bolt,it should begin to move. Don't go mad, gentle wiggling,pulling, tapping etc to get things moving. If it's really tight, a bit of heat from a hot air gun will warm the frame and break the grip on the bush / frame.
Wiggle this one out, then the second side is easy, tap out with a suitable socket, use a bit of heat if required.
Clean up bushes and frame, lightly grease with Teflon grease on refitting, use thread lock on the bolt...hope this helps... Jr

PS - don't melt the plastic outer bushes between the swing arm and metal bush... Stick with WD40, until you have the plastic parts clear of the frame.
These outer bushes generally push out with a suitable socket and hide hammer..go easy, don't melt or break them !

Cheers Proflex656,
worked a treat on the forward bushings, got them out without any drama.....pity can't say that for the rears.
Not a total loss however as the internal portion (?acrylic) of the bushes are ok, so all I need to find are a couple of suitable washers for the external component for one side.

Thanks again.
Andy

Cool no problem...
I've done a few, so if you have any other issues PM if you need to.
Will make a nice bike when it's built up...almost bought it myself....but a 856 came up just about the same time, so went for that.
Let me know if you don't need the spare elastomers.... :)
Cheers for now - jr

Back