GT people! Mt Shasta Fork - on a Zaskar?

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I've got my eye on a Mt. Shasta fork on eBay. From what I've read online the Mt. Shasta's were a budget line of bikes produced by GT. I was thinking about getting this for my Zaskar to make it look a bit more period correct - the Surly 1x1 I have on it looks kinda silly.

My guess is that at best I'm looking at a low end cromolly fork. Would you put one on a Zaskar? Price is right and it comes with a threaded headset.

They weren't totally budget.. Depends on the model mt. Shasta they come from..

There are 3 types of rigid fork used by Gt for the Shastas, comprising of variations in how much cro mo is involved.

The best of the bunch is GT 'Bologna' lite, triple butted- That's for the Shasta Tempest or Pachanga. The other 2 are GT 'unicrown' with some or no cro mo steel and cover the other 6 models
Usually got the model name on the fork blade, failing that the colour is a dead give away.. What's they look like?

I got a set of Tempest forks hanging up.. Will go and weigh 'em to give you an idea. Hang on :cool:...

A very respectable 881g - That's with bosses

paddy311":2xa1daj6 said:

Judging by the colour, a rather UV faded blue, they are off a Pachanga, so they are likely the same as mine, described in my previous post. Therefore strapped to a £600+/- bike.

They were made in '92

They have a nice rake to them. 'GT' logo embossed by each drop out.

IMO they're worthy of a Zaskar if resprayed.. See what the Zaskar fan base say. :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well they are proper GT forks so they get my vote.

I think the basic GT cro-mo forks (without the embossing) were just bought off the shelf in Taiwan anyway.

the ideal : 3D or a 2x4 but they are so hard to find

Bologna would be the next best, its the one with the chisel cuts near the dropouts and the GT logos

The Mt Shasta one sounds good...just spray it black! :D

I agree with Merckx. If I hadn't already got some forks sorted for my 91 zaskar I'd be all over these.

Yup those are the ones. I have an ink blue Zaskar so I was thinking a blue respray....of course the anno is so-so.

Thanks for the info.

Now I need to do some measuring to figure if they'll fit my frame.

I was under the impression that that was what GT was called before they dropped the 'Mt Shasta' bit :/
Certainly reads like that in the catalogs :? You dont have double and triple butted tange cro-mo frames with top spec classed as low end or budget.

Its was a lower priced sub-brand for sale through Wall-mart etc as far as I know.
Think they only did if for a few years in the mid-90s and obviously used a lot of stock parts.

Latest posts

Back