Cranks and chain slip when applying torque pedalling hard

Re: Cranks and chain slip when applying torque pedalling har

My ownership experience with Rapid Rise was bad - with age the mech (identical to yours) would ghost shift under load. The problem is that only the spring stops it from going to a smaller cog (which it wants to do under chain tension) unlike a conventional mech when the shift cable tension prevents it.

My suspicion is that it's the cassette which is worn in a few gears, but I binned the mech, returned to a conventional one and the ghost shifting disappeared immediately.

Rapid rise is a fundamentally flawed idea - it works in the showroom, but when the spring ages it becomes useless.

hamster":twy45eyi said:
My ownership experience with Rapid Rise was bad - with age the mech (identical to yours) would ghost shift under load. The problem is that only the spring stops it from going to a smaller cog (which it wants to do under chain tension) unlike a conventional mech when the shift cable tension prevents it.

My suspicion is that it's the cassette which is worn in a few gears, but I binned the mech, returned to a conventional one and the ghost shifting disappeared immediately.

Rapid rise is a fundamentally flawed idea - it works in the showroom, but when the spring ages it becomes useless.

I suspect you're right
The cassette is new as is the chain and all correct
The hubs are good and only thing I can point to is the mech as no amount of experimentation solves it. In the "lab" all is fine, on the road or trail, slippage and only on certain cogs .

I will scrap the mech

gtRTSdh":cazylelr said:
Pierre":cazylelr said:
It looks like you've routed the cable over the top of the clamp bolt on the rear derailleur. It's designed to be routed round the underside of the bolt

It looks like a rapid rise rear mech, is it? if it is pressing the thumb shifter makes the gear harder (smaller cassette sprocket), I'd be interested in taking it off your hands.

And regarding the above, if it's rapid rise the cable is the right side of the bolt, do you agree Pierre?

Dibs on the mech :)

gtRTSdh":2t0j0p5w said:
gtRTSdh":2t0j0p5w said:
Pierre":2t0j0p5w said:
It looks like you've routed the cable over the top of the clamp bolt on the rear derailleur. It's designed to be routed round the underside of the bolt

It looks like a rapid rise rear mech, is it? if it is pressing the thumb shifter makes the gear harder (smaller cassette sprocket), I'd be interested in taking it off your hands.

And regarding the above, if it's rapid rise the cable is the right side of the bolt, do you agree Pierre?

Dibs on the mech :)

Make me an offer and it's yours :)
Will send pics this weekend

A tenner posted sounds fair as it's suspect?

Details, make and model of everything?
Then it'll stop people guessing what things are.

Is anyone else near to have a look at simple thing.

Exacly what gears does in do this in, not just 'some'.

Can you fit another rear wheel to test that out. You don't need a brake.

Then try different chain if you have one (SRAM are quick link normally)

Check the rear drive train setup to Shimano documents, they are all on their website under Technical. Just look for the rear mech code.

Better close up pics would help to.

Back