The law is an ass. And then some in certain cases........

Re: The law is an ass. And then some in certain cases.......

scottmac":1swkjlu8 said:
highlandsflyer":1swkjlu8 said:
scottmac":1swkjlu8 said:
The time it has taken you to post on here could have been put to better use by contacting your MP and stating your case.

Really? I mean, really?

I guess we should all give up reading and taking long baths as well. Time better spent with our politicians.
Yes, really! :roll:

If you do nothing to help safer cycling on British roads then posting stuff like: "We ought to be treating those who drive like this in the same way we would someone discharging a rifle into the street at random" is just a throw-away pointless remark.

This is not aimed just at you, but to everyone whom posts on here:

Get off your arse and do something about it!

I don't like politicians much either, but I contacted mine because of drivers parking their cars on the bend at the end of our road which is opposite a kids play area. The near misses that happen everyday from drivers entering the flow of traffic is alarming to say the least and it's usually the mother's of the kids whom park their cars opposite the junction or on the bend! :shock:

My MP has contacted me to say he is looking into the matter. Other residents are sick of the parking problem too and are contacting him. I don't like the policies my MP stands for, but I will contact him if there is a possibility of kids or elderly people being killed.

This is for everyone: If you are unfortunate to get knocked off your bike (please god it doesn't happen) then please don't come on here moaning about it how plod did nothing and the driver got off without a fine stories, and tales of woe because the cycling community can be it's own worst enemy and expects life on a silver platter. If you campaign for tougher sentences, higher fines etc. the motorist will avoid you because they don't want the hassle of hitting you in the first place.

I rode for three years on the continent and never had to put up with the $h!t that I have to put up with on Blighty's roads. :evil:

@ highlandsflyer - I'm sorry, but you didn't answer my question. Have you done anything to promote road safety?

Surely it is a pointless remark regardless? This is a general and off topic section on a cycling website, not a campaign journal.

Who said I don't like politicians?

I didn't answer your repetitive question, (whenever there is a thread you can stuff it into), because it is: a) none of your damn business, and b) the nature of this forum does not dictate the need to have done anything to remark on anything.

It is pissing in the wind to start questioning people on what they do day to day when you have begun by making patronising assertions and lazy assumptions.

Has no-one watched the rivetting televisual broadcasts from Parliament when some obscure local MP tries to table a motion that may actually be of benefit to someone, to the Speaker and perhaps three other MP's, all deperately trying not tp appear as though they fell asleep three days previously and everyone else snuck out to the canteen and left them to it?

No-one gives a sh*t, live with it...

...if Society doesn't give a damn, why should their elected representatives?

We_are_Stevo":1w9oa1rx said:
Has no-one watched the rivetting televisual broadcasts from Parliament when some obscure local MP tries to table a motion that may actually be of benefit to someone, to the Speaker and perhaps three other MP's, all deperately trying not tp appear as though they fell asleep three days previously and everyone else snuck out to the canteen and left them to it?

No-one gives a sh*t, live with it...

...if Society doesn't give a damn, why should their elected representatives?

You know, I don't want to contribute to a society if it is like that as I do give a sh1t

Surely it is a pointless remark regardless? This is a general and off topic section on a cycling website, not a campaign journal.

I didn't answer your repetitive question, (whenever there is a thread you can stuff it into), because it is: a) none of your damn business, and b) the nature of this forum does not dictate the need to have done anything to remark on anything.

It is pissing in the wind to start questioning people on what they do day to day when you have begun by making patronising assertions and lazy assumptions.
I thought I asked a reasonable question? It also seems that you presume my last post was aimed solely at you. this was not the case intended but please carry on sitting on the fence and pissing in the wind if it floats your boat. :D

We_are_Stevo":2scneqzs said:
I have absolutely no doubt that the driver was so close to the cyclist that his offside pedal caught under the sill of the vehicle as she passed, causing him to veer into the middle of the road, fall off and be struck by the following vehicle...

...why?

Because exactly the same thing happened to me on the same stretch of road with another vehicle, except I was 'lucky' enough to fall the other way onto the pavement; and no, the driver didn't stop!
Sorry, but you weren't there, so you will never know.

I am glad you survived though.

scottmac":3vousljm said:

I thought I asked a reasonable question? It also seems that you presume my last post was aimed solely at you. this was not the case intended but please carry on sitting on the fence and pissing in the wind if it floats your boat. :D

Guessing you are about sixteen years old by the tone of your posts. I would argue you should be able to vote despite yourself.

You really can't help yourself, with all the talk of fence sitting and such.

What have you done again?

Focus on that, and let others worry about their own business.

Guessing you are about sixteen years old by the tone of your posts. I would argue you should be able to vote despite yourself.

You really can't help yourself, with all the talk of fence sitting and such.

What have you done again?

Focus on that, and let others worry about their own business.
Whom is making patronising assertions and lazy assumptions now? :roll:

Re. What I have done. I've written to several MP's, did a couple of Critical Mass things, but didn't really agree with them as all they were doing was creating a clusterfeck and annoying everyone in the vicinity. Signed The Times m'larky. Wrote to Roadsafe several times and TfL, but what I am trying to say is I am sure there are others on here that have done a lot more, but the law hasn't changed, has it?

I assume that you think that I am aiming my posts purely at you? I see elsewhere you have written: "My view is that getting involved makes a difference. That is my experience, and I have been politically involved since I was a kid."

You're free to do what you like, but I find it kind of odd that you enjoy riding your bike and state that; "We ought to be treating those who drive like this in the same way we would someone discharging a rifle into the street at random." so it's obvious you don't like the way that justice is dished out to the guilty, but won't tell us what you have done to help keep cycling safe or will do in the future?

May I ask, what do you think of the likes of this becoming law in Blighty?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy ... 451896.ece

Back