The law is an ass. And then some in certain cases........

Re: The law is an ass. And then some in certain cases.......

highlandsflyer":1pwqhdvq said:
scottmac":1pwqhdvq said:
May I ask, have any of the above ever written to their MP about cycling on British roads?

Is this on a loop?

We ought to be treating those who drive like this in the same way we would someone discharging a rifle into the street at random.

Yup, it seems so... :roll:

The reason why I keep asking, is that I agree with your comment about "discharging a rifle", but having a wee rant on here (we all like a rant, myself included, so I'm not knocking you ;) ) will do sod all.

The time it has taken you to post on here could have been put to better use by contacting your MP and stating your case.

One person contacting their MP will not do much. If said MP starts to receive more emails than he/she can cope with they will start to take notice and have to do something.

It doesn't really matter if you agree/disagree with your local MP's political views. The thing is you should badger them about road safety, potholes, cycle lanes etc.

MP's like to be in the public eye to show what they have achieved for their community. So why not make it an issue and let them have all the credit to swell their egos.

It might just save a life. :D

ps. I have contacted my MP by the way! ;)

as usual, the comments section is full of trolls and scumbags!
things like this wont change until peoples attitudes change along with education.
so many cars on the road (and growing) its hard to see the day when we feel any difference is being made! suppose the newspapers have some influence on this to some extent though.....wonder how many sentences for driver/cyclist collisions are handed out 'fairly'. although when the loss of a loved one comes into it, there is no real compensation in justice through the courts. just closure maybe.

twain":2941ska4 said:
as usual, the comments section is full of trolls and scumbags!
things like this wont change until peoples attitudes change along with education.
You (along with everyone else on this forum) could make it change?

Maybe I am...

Does anyone know how many people are registered to Retrobike?

From my interactions on here, and general note taking...

Many on here are extremely active in promoting and campaigning for cycling in all its forms.

It is wearisome to have every expression of exasperation met with calls of , "Yes, but what have YOU done about it?".

Just saying.

I'm not sorry that you find it wearisome that I ask, and 'tis true, many are active in promoting and campaigning, but bugger all was done for poor Audrey Fyfe and the many like her whom were killed by pondlife behind a wheel.

There are too many do-gooders promoting sign this/sign that for better safer cycling promo type things. Even The Times' campaign using Sir Dave and Sir Chris and others seems a bit lost now. 100,000 signatures MAY get the government talking about it! :roll:

SFW :(

There is no deterrent to stop people driving like a to$$er and maiming and killing innocent people.

Yes, you will always get the idiot whom doesn't give a toss and will drive with no discretion for his/her fellow road user, and the argument of more cyclists on the road will not prevent incidents, it seems to encourage motorists to hate us more!

Maybe a long jail sentence, massive fine, retraining (at the offender's expense) education, re-sit of their licence etc. would deter offenders?

@ highlandsflyer - I'm sorry, I don't know your background, but have you done anything to promote road safety? This is not a dig - it's a genuine question.

edit. I'm off to bed now - I'll answer in the morn ;)

scottmac":2ws7bbeh said:
The time it has taken you to post on here could have been put to better use by contacting your MP and stating your case.

Really? I mean, really?

I guess we should all give up reading and taking long baths as well. Time better spent with our politicians.

Back in around '95 up in Norwich a young male cyclist died and a female driver was charged in relation to the accident; the evidence given in Court was that the driver passed the cyclist too close in her People Carrier, causing the cyclist to fall off into the path of the following driver, killing him in the ensuing collision.

The Defence was that the cyclist 'wobbled about in the road' before falling off...

...the sentence was a £135 fine and three points on her licence!

I have absolutely no doubt that the driver was so close to the cyclist that his offside pedal caught under the sill of the vehicle as she passed, causing him to veer into the middle of the road, fall off and be struck by the following vehicle...

...why?

Because exactly the same thing happened to me on the same stretch of road with another vehicle, except I was 'lucky' enough to fall the other way onto the pavement; and no, the driver didn't stop!

The leniency of these sentences merely reflects the widely help misperception that cyclists are the agents of their own misfortune merely for having the audacity to cycle in the first place!

Not only that, but cyclists tend to be so because they enjoy it and it is a generally held attitude that someone who does something because they enjoy it is to be despised and denegrated for it... :!:

highlandsflyer":3h8tr6a3 said:
scottmac":3h8tr6a3 said:

Really? I mean, really?

I guess we should all give up reading and taking long baths as well. Time better spent with our politicians.
Yes, really! :roll:

If you do nothing to help safer cycling on British roads then posting stuff like: "We ought to be treating those who drive like this in the same way we would someone discharging a rifle into the street at random" is just a throw-away pointless remark.

This is not aimed just at you, but to everyone whom posts on here:

Get off your arse and do something about it!

I don't like politicians much either, but I contacted mine because of drivers parking their cars on the bend at the end of our road which is opposite a kids play area. The near misses that happen everyday from drivers entering the flow of traffic is alarming to say the least and it's usually the mother's of the kids whom park their cars opposite the junction or on the bend! :shock:

My MP has contacted me to say he is looking into the matter. Other residents are sick of the parking problem too and are contacting him. I don't like the policies my MP stands for, but I will contact him if there is a possibility of kids or elderly people being killed.

This is for everyone: If you are unfortunate to get knocked off your bike (please god it doesn't happen) then please don't come on here moaning about it how plod did nothing and the driver got off without a fine stories, and tales of woe because the cycling community can be it's own worst enemy and expects life on a silver platter. If you campaign for tougher sentences, higher fines etc. the motorist will avoid you because they don't want the hassle of hitting you in the first place.

I rode for three years on the continent and never had to put up with the $h!t that I have to put up with on Blighty's roads. :evil:

@ highlandsflyer - I'm sorry, but you didn't answer my question. Have you done anything to promote road safety?

Back