E Merckx Corsa Extra Stuttgart

wallonie11

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hello, another new poster here, although reader for a while.
I'm delighted to have finally acquired my Merckx (from a very nice chap on these forums) after two years of deliberation. When I started riding in 1994 the Corsa Extra was my dream bike!

It is a real hodgepodge of component eras - many modern pieces but with aesthetic consistent with the mid 90s. Only issue I have now is getting a new ratchet in the r/h ergo as gears jump under load.

59cm c-t Corsa Extra SLX
Mavic GP4 on Mavic 501 hubs, Sachs 12-21 8spd block
Record 10spd chainset on record BB
Record Ti 9spd r/h ergo, Chorus left
NOS Sachs New Success F&R mech
Chorus brakes
Daytona 27.2 pin with Selle Italia Flite Ti
Cinelli XA stem on Eubios bars

Most chuffed!

Attachments

• P1060010.JPG
    P1060010.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,984
  • P1060012.JPG
    P1060012.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,984
  • P1060013.JPG
    P1060013.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,984
Well done! The paint is so great on this frame and you have definitely done it justice with the build. Congratulations!

Very nice , be carefull with the alloy axle on that rear hub , mine broke and the skewer was all that held everything together. Does the frame have those little rings on the lower head lug for the gear cables?

Voila, after another 18months of piecing it together I now have it as I want it :)

The more I looked at it, the more I liked the new success kit, so I kept hunting and hunting for good condition ergos with original sachs branded hoods and the sachs modolo brakes. Finally I found both, but only available as part of a full groupset with Wolber wheels. After 48hrs of anxiety i'd sold enough from my parts bin to do it - bonus is my tt rig is now sporting a lovely new success transmission.
DSC_0089.JPG

transmission.jpg

I'm not totally sure about the Shamals - I loved these at the time, but at 80+kg I feel more secure on regular spoked wheels.
DSC_0090%2520%25282%2529.JPG

frame.jpg

I've had the Shamal rebuilt onto a 32hole new success hub - the original campag hub was damaged several years ago so I didn't feel like a complete butcher
DSC_0096.JPG

DSC_0092%2520%25282%2529.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

Apologies for the modern pedals - having reluctantly made the shift from Arc to Keo six years ago i'm not keen on going back the way!
front.jpg

Full spec:
F&F E Merckx Corsa Extra
F&R mech: Sachs New Success
Crankset: Sachs New Success
Brakes: Sachs New Success
Ergos: Sachs New Success
Seatpin: Campagnolo Daytona
Saddle: Flite Ti
Headset: Stronglight
Stem: Cinelli Oyster pantographed
Bar: Cinelli Eubious (scratched, but original from my junior 1995 race bike)
Wheels: Campagnolo Shamal / Sachs New Success - Wolber TSX
DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

That looks great, one of my favorite corsa extra colourways, I prefer it without the Shamals. Good choice on the group set - goes very nicely :D

I agree fully that the New Sucess group looks great , were your Cinelli bars 26.4 or 26.0 ? cheers Ian

I love this colour scheme. One day I will have one myself!! Not sure if I prefer it with or without the Shamals though.

Back