Restoration/rebuild Dave Yates 531 Reynolds

Andy T

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hello folks,
This is my first posting here, play nice - looks like a fantastic site!

I couldn’t find an ‘introduce yourself’ thread, so no idea if that is what is required?
If so, Mid 40’s male, biking since the mid 80’s on and off depending on job/family at the time, living in the cold and damp NE UK. A garage full of modern road bikes, mainly belonging to my other half at the minute! A couple of MTB’s squashed in there – nothing exciting – hope to change this sooner rather than later!

The point of the post – cutting a long story short; I wanted to build/restore a couple of bikes for myself, I’d pulled apart bikes as a kid/teenager and rebuilt them with odd bits, road bikes rebuilt as single speeds with massive ‘cowhorn bars, refurbed bikes for pals etc. but never got around to a complete restoration.
A recent prolonged episode of ill health, illustrated life is way too short to put stuff off, so I decided I would restore a road bike while I recuperated (my other half is a ‘proper cyclist’) and get out and about with her, as it turns out I bought a road bike so I could get on with getting out and about.

Living in the NE I used to see Dave Yates bikes in the LBS and always thought one day I’ll have one – so I bought one – well a frame at least to restore.
I picked up this Dave Yates/M Steel frame, Reynolds 531 tubing with chromed 531 forks, frame number is MS079. I contacted Dave and unfortunately he no longer holds any records on frames of that age. He suspects its early 80’s as that is when he started with M Steel. (Apologies for the rubbish photos, I was in a hurry) :facepalm:

So the crux is; do I go down the road of a period correct restoration or a modern restoration. I have a modern road bike and whilst it does everything on the tin I need it to do, it’s soulless!

The frame is in great condition - the dullness on the frame is condensation after I brought it in from the garage to photograph; I don’t believe it requires a respray at this time, it’s been refurbed at some point as the Reynolds decal states Cycle Tube Respray.

It came with a nice Pantographed seat post marked Brev 27.2 and what appears to be GG engraved in script form on the rear of the seat post – as yet I have no idea who the manufacturer is of the seat post – any idea?

So, I’m looking for some pointers as to the route to take with the resto. If I go down the route of originality then can anyone suggest a suitable period groupset, another option is the modern groupset route such as this example I found with google-foo (anyone’s here?) This example has some form of conversion on the braze-on gear lever mounts, any ideas how this is done?

Thanks in advance with any feedback, I look forward to getting the restoration and thread going.
Andrew

The braze on mounts have stock Shimano bolt on stops which incorporate adjusters. Any decent shop Cary's them.
I would start with what you intend the bike for, this will lead you to choose retro or modern. Simply by deciding which kind of shifters and chain set will set the tone. Other modern parts are far less obtrusive.

If you want to ride it, I would go modern. Maybe a Dura Ace 7700 series or a Record/Chorus 9-10 speed gruppo. If you want to hang it on the wall, and only ride it once in a blue moon, go original setup. Me, I would go modern, and enjoy riding it as it was meant to be.

Nice frame, whatever you decide to do with it, you will enjoy the ride.

I have two Yates mtb's and they are both superb.

Hi Andrew

Nice frame, my Yates had 600ex when first built in the mid 80's.. As a kid I was always a bit envious of more snr club members that had like frames with nuovo or super record but that was out of budget for a school boy racer.. Always regarded these as my favourite groupsets. Add a turbo or rolls saddle and cincelli bars and stem, mavic rims, happy days.

g

Why aren't there more silver bikes? That's a great colour, and a superb build - would love to see some more pictures of it. :D

It most certainly was, however, last April it was off the road due to a bent rear mech hanger & it's currently in the local bike shop for repair.

The photo is one I took in my kitchen when I'd 1st rebuilt it so no idea what it's doing on here.

I found it whilst searching for a Dave Yates 531c frameset.

Back