Help to name the frame*NAMED*

Spibblo

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone have an idea what and how old this is?

it came with some retro bits like some Deerhead cantis, campy headset, sr stem, suntour e-5000 gt RD. Hopefully someone out there can tell me more about it. The BB is stuck and I'm tempted to get it to my LBS, if it's of any value. Decal is reynolds 531 renovated and it does feel pretty light....

Attachments

• DSC_2227.JPG
    DSC_2227.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC_2228.JPG
    DSC_2228.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC_2220.JPG
    DSC_2220.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC_2223.JPG
    DSC_2223.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC_2229.JPG
    DSC_2229.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC_2230.JPG
    DSC_2230.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC_2222.JPG
    DSC_2222.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 585
Re: Help to name the frame

Can't name it but it is clearly a very good quality touring frame, most likely made from 531st (Super Touring) tubing. Wouldn't expect it to be particularly light but it will soak up the road beautifully. Should you take it to lbs and get it sorted? Most certainly.

Yep, looks like a mercian to me. Narrow chainstay bridge and just very elegant :). Shaun

Are the lug cut-outs on Mercians not normally clover shaped?
Don't want to put a downer on things but you really may never know what kind it is:
I've spent way too much time trying to trace my own bike & many of the details on yours look familiar from trawling through pictures on the Internet.
The lugs were in pretty wide usage for over 20 years in England & Italy at least, so that doesn't narrow things down much. I think the cable guides & seat stay caps may be more productive to look at?
I get the feeling too that the Reynolds sticker on there is a newer style than the actual date of the frame but that's just a hunch...
Whichever way - nice bike - enjoy it!

:) Thanks for your suggestions.
I'll certainly try and get the BB sorted then!
Will post up the frame number tomorrow when it's light and I'm wearing my best glasses.

frame number is 0 (or o) next to 83010

like this 0 83010

I've looked into Mercian frame numbers. From what I have read they had the number of the frame built that year, then the year it was made- sometimes this was reversed-year first then number. Then near the main number was another number which applies to the builder

So if it is a Mercian (not saying it is) mine would have been built by 0 in 1983 and be the 10th frame that year.

or did loads of other brands use a similar numbering system?

the Reynolds decal is for a Reynolds renovated frame and so would be a later type decal to the original. There is a repair to the right hand rear drop out/chainstay join which was done before the paint so this ties in with the renovated decal.

Contact Mercian with that info and they should be able to tell you if it's one of theirs.

Tel":n1guiqc0 said:
Contact Mercian with that info and they should be able to tell you if it's one of theirs.

cheers Tel I'll give that a try.

As far as the stuck BB goes- The frame will want repainting anyway so why not dunk the BB in caustic soda? it's a sealed cartridge type so the alloy body will dissolve and just leave me the plastic non-drive cup to remove.

Back