Family bikes - Pug + Townsend which is now a Gazelle Mixte!

Re: 2 bikes for the family - Peugeot Sportive + Townsend R L

No if they clamp up nice and tight they'll be fine.

The frames are really nice now and when the decals are on they will look superb.
who needs to see super high quality bikes when we see stuff like this being bought
back to life instead of being thrown on to the tip.

Keep it up matey.

Do the bars wobble inside the stem before they are clamped up ?

It is an old Cinelli stem - i do not know the model number but the clamp bolt is visible from the front and allen key to the rear - it is engraved Cinelli on the top but not at the front. I will check Velobase in a while.

Did yo get your coffee issue sorted yet? LOL

No wobbles - only my legs!!!

Richard

My Cinelli stem pics -

The last two show the scores and a little filing which i started tonight.

Richard

Richard has certainly made these small machines shine again , i was involved somewhat in the paint and lacquer and they are stunning and shiny and they will with careful choice of components make good machines for his family..its often difficult to make a silk purse out of old stuff but he will manage it, like the rest of you guys i await with interest to see the finished result.. from my time of knowing a very likeable fellow Ulsterman i have found him to be smitten with the same uncurable disease that we here all suffer from .. we like bikes.. he's certainly doing his bit in the retro world..

Public Holiday update,

As i am concentrating on completing the mixte first, i have been frustrated by the lack of progress and the delays which keep happening. On the 9th May, i bought a set of cranks from ebay - 150mm in silver. I paid and on the 17th May, the seller contacted me to advise that he had not actually got the cranks he advertised but had a similar set in black. He aked if i was willing to take the black ones.

During this period i had been watching another set of suitable cranks but not bid on them as i thought i had bought the right ones. This sale ended and i then received a message advising me that they had been relisted. As it is doubtful that i will need a spare set of 150 cranks, again. i did not buy. This sale ended and i did not buy.

After some thought i decided that black cranks would not be suitable and i contacted the seller of them for a refund (this was done quickly), i then contacted the seller of the cranks i missed and arranged payment for them - they should be in the post now.

Over two weeks wasted and i am not happy. I am hoping the cranks will be here when i am next off work so i can make some progress with the mixte.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a NOS Townsend Lady Royale mixte - in the adult size - there is one for sale in my LBS. PM me for info - it is around £120. I should add it is in super condition and needs nothing done to ride it. I have pics etc but i think it wuld be best to deal with them directly - i will provide details etc.

I hope eveyone had a good weekend,

Richard

Good evening all,

At last a bit of progress, having been very busy for the past 5 weeks, i got time today in the garage and it was cool enough to get some work done. Outside there was thunder and lightning for about 2 hours but it did not distract me too much.

I polished the stem with pads and then wet and dry and then a mixture of polishes and i am happy with the result - not a mirror shine but just nice!!! I fitted the bars using a shim made from a Coke tin - 10 mins work and all appears good. The stem took about a day to get done due to the anodizing not coming off and i was worried about over-doing the oven cleaner. It is a job for a patient person or someone who is not in a rush to cut grass etc etc

I got the decals fitted with few problems and the bike is now a Gazelle Champion Mondial!!! I know this will upset some people but the decals and colours set the bike off and i like them so i will take any flak for this sacrilege. Had i been able to buy a Gazelle frame in a child's size that did not cost a fortune - i would have done so but they are rare and i do not even know if they are available.

Finally i fitted the brake calipers and levers. I had to drill the front for to accept the front brake and i was able to use a nut on the rear - both required some washers to move them away from the frame.

The final bits and bobs will take some thinking - cable routing for the chainrings, cable routing for the brakes should not be too difficult but it may turn out i need to use the brake route for the gear cable - i won't know until i try!! Wheels should be ready to go, i repacked the bearings and they are running smoothly although they are heavy. I might ask my wheel builder if he has any suitable rims and i will upgrade the wheels if this is an option. I still am undecided about the gear mechs but they will be Shimano of some sort - possibly a 105 front and Sora rear, or both Sora or a 105 front and an odd cheap rear. I have bought double stem shifters which i thought were indexed but having checked them it appears they are not so i have ordered another set but they are black and i wanted alloy levers so not final decision there. Pedals are currently an alloy and rubber platform, i have a set of SR quill alloy ones but my wife wants the platforms - an argument might be on the cards. Finally, she want red bar tape - hmmmmm. This will not match the Selle Italia Carbon seat and another argument might result!!!!

Here are today's pics -

Richard

p.s i still cannot believe how long this has taken so far!!!

So this is where you've been!! In fairness, that's time well spent - looks tremendous!

Back