Scooter/Motorbike recommendations for a novice

certainly cant - i was (and still a) a little skeptical about its mileage for the age of it, but it has an MOT so will check the mileage against it on the clock. other than that, its in very good condition :)

Great old thread - wondering how Chinese bikes fare now?
There’s this nice a scrambler called Bullit Hero - derestricted goes up past 45mph I heard on a 50cc
I want a 50cc motorcycle which I can ride without L plates on my license - and take a passenger too. Only for local shopping and school runs etc, with a 125 I can’t take a passenger without having to pass my motorcycle test.

They're a lot better than when this post first landed, but still not to Japanese build quality. That said most of the big 4 have satellite factories churning out their small capacity bikes in countries like Thailand, India and Indonesia. Or they badge engineer Chinese built bikes. As the build quality of Chinese bikes has steadily improved, the quality of Japanese manufacturers has steadily declined, to the point where it now depends more on how well you look after it as to how long it will last. Brands like Sym and Sinnis are turning out some fairly decent bikes.

50cc 4 stroke putting out 3.2kw / 4.3hp, that weighs 121kg, doing 45mph is possible but unlikely mate. Derestricting a 4 stroke engine with such little power in the first place won't give you any significant gain: not like a 2 stroke. It's fairly straightforward to remove the bridle / restrictor if you do a search for it, but there is no credible evidence of the advantages gained, other than anecdotal claims of 70kmh (42.5mph ish).

It might be an indicated 45mph downhill, but it's unlikely to be real speed, and certainly not with two of you on it. Added to which you will significantly shorten the life of that little engine.

Oh and if you got caught you'd be in a fair bit of bother. If you're riding a 50cc made under 3dld rules (01/14 i think) it has to top out at 28mph.

Last edited:
They're a lot better than when this post first landed, but still not to Japanese build quality. That said most of the big 4 have satellite factories churning out their small capacity bikes in countries like Thailand, India and Indonesia. Or they badge engineer Chinese built bikes. As the build quality of Chinese bikes has steadily improved, the quality of Japanese manufacturers has steadily declined, to the point where it now depends more on how well you look after it as to how long it will last. Brands like Sym and Sinnis are turning out some fairly decent bikes.

50cc 4 stroke putting out 3.2kw / 4.3hp, that weighs 121kg, doing 45mph is possible but unlikely mate. Derestricting a 4 stroke engine with such little power in the first place won't give you any significant gain: not like a 2 stroke. It's fairly straightforward to remove the bridle / restrictor if you do a search for it, but there is no credible evidence of the advantages gained, other than anecdotal claims of 70kmh (42.5mph ish).

It might be an indicated 45mph downhill, but it's unlikely to be real speed, and certainly not with two of you on it. Added to which you will significantly shorten the life of that little engine.

Oh and if you got caught you'd be in a fair bit of bother. If you're riding a 50cc made under 3dld rules (01/14 i think) it has to top out at 28mph.
Thanks for that!
How about 2 strokes? I understand the power delivery works differently than a 4. And potentially quite a bit faster.
When I said local I meant literally no more than within a 2 mile radius for a 50cc.
I’d love to do my test but haven’t the money

Spare parts appear to be an issue, you see a lot of Chinese bikes on eBay, Gumtree etc. with relatively minor issues but they can't get spares. BTW Honda CG125 virtually unbreakable.

Thanks for that!
How about 2 strokes? I understand the power delivery works differently than a 4. And potentially quite a bit faster.
When I said local I meant literally no more than within a 2 mile radius for a 50cc.
I’d love to do my test but haven’t the money

I far as I am aware, there is still a speed restriction on mopeds(different than scooters or motorcycles), regardless of engine used. If you were not bothered by consequences you could put bigger engine in and not declare it, it would still be a 50cc on the log book, it is not checked on mot's, so unless you had a whopping V4 sticking out the sides the tester will not notice.

Do you have moped entitlement on you license?

A moped (category AM) is defined as having a maximum design speed over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not exceeding 45 km/h (28 mph); or a light quadricycle with an unladen weight not more than 350kg and up to 45km/h.

Can be auto or manual

There’s this nice a scrambler called Bullit Hero - derestricted goes up past 45mph I heard on a 50cc
I want a 50cc motorcycle which I can ride without L plates on my license - and take a passenger too. Only for local shopping and school runs etc, with a 125 I can’t take a passenger without having to pass my motorcycle test.

Also, this is a motorcyle, you can only ride mopeds on the licence, defined by @Markybeau post with power/speed limits above, and it also needs to be a step through design with foot boards.

Also, this is a motorcyle, you can only ride mopeds on the licence, defined by @Markybeau post with power/speed limits above, and it also needs to be a step through design with foot boards.
@mk one Historically yes, currently no.

It doesn't need to be a step-thru.

If a 16 year old turned up for CBT with that bike it would be acceptable as a moped - it's restricted to 28mph.

The definition nowadays is much broader than when we started riding Mark

Back