Boutique Derailleurs and Shifters

Xc thumbies are much better imo, lower profile and much easier to adjust tension on them. Plus they look a whole lot better.

poweredbypies":rvqcobua said:
Xc thumbies are much better imo, lower profile and much easier to adjust tension on them. Plus they look a whole lot better.

Cheers man, reserved a Suntour XC pro set - derailleurs and Thumbies
Goodbye Shimano!

Joes, rhino, Paul's are all fairly simplistic clones of existing derailleurs, the LMDS is nice but for sheer over engineered, over thought and over priced continental craziness I present to you the EGS Upcage.

IMGP6873%20%281%29-filtered.jpg

And the matching crazy bonkers shifter (operates bothe front and back derailleurs at the same time, providing only unique ratios)
SV202085.jpg

And the somewhat unbalanced brake lever for the other side
SV202074.jpg

Images courtesy of disrailligears & ex RB member sithlord

That's amazing stuff, but you do have to ask who they sell that system to.

They must know all their customers individually by name.

Well I have 2 of the derailleurs and one one of the shifters :oops:

But obviously not from new.

They made plastic versions of the shifter too, mostly used on town bikes.

The mechs are crazy, aluminium brass and titanium, what you can't quite see from the Disraeli image is the third jockey wheel on the body of the derailleur.

Apparently when EGS stopped production/ceased trading (oddly the website is or at least was last year still alive despite closing operations a decade ago) Shimano bought up the IP and that formed the basis of the shadow derailleurs.

I don't think there are many around but since no one remembers them, when they do rarely appear on the bay they can go unnoticed by the masses.

I'm sure they are a masterpiece of engineering, they certainly look it, but they are a prime example of a clever engineer coming up with a solution to a perceived problem with all existing systems, without the reality check of someone with enough financial knowledge of the target market to know that they will never sell in sufficient numbers to make the whole operation viable.

I shall keep my eye open on the bay ;)

Back