orange p7 sizing

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi there

Some time ago i picked this up viewtopic.php?f=1&t=238298
turned out to be pretty tired and abused so stripped it and kinda put it on hold and got on with the skip find hard rock , thats almost there now so back to the p7 :D , its what orange list as a 17 but it looks pretty small ! im about 5 10 ish, certainly no more and wondered if any p7 owners of my height are running this size and if so how they have got on with it ?
I just want to avoid gathering a load of bits together only to find its too small !!

my hardrock is a 17.5 which is small compared to my m2 which is a 19 and my fsr is a med so a bit of a mixed bag :D

Cheers Paul.

Older Oranges size up smaller for sure, I am a pretty standard 18" for all brands but 19" for older Oranges. I started with a 17" c16r which was too small then moved onto 19" frames

I'm 5'11" and my P7 measurs 17.5" c-c. Orange sizes come up smaller as they use the c-t measurement I think, but I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can confirm.

Mine is probably too small, needs to be a half inch or maybe an inch bigger (no comment!).

All depends on your preference too though, some people prefer smaller frames, others not so. Maybe ask some nice local RB'ers if they have one that you can throw your leg over to check?

Tom79":2k7y5a12 said:
I'm 5'11" and my P7 measurs 17.5" c-c. Orange sizes come up smaller as they use the c-t measurement I think, but I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can confirm.

Mine is probably too small, needs to be a half inch or maybe an inch bigger (no comment!).

All depends on your preference too though, some people prefer smaller frames, others not so. Maybe ask some nice local RB'ers if they have one that you can throw your leg over to check?

Thanks for the reply
is yours built up and are you riding it ? I had it in my head to build it up with shortish stem , risers and an 80 / 100mm fork , more x country trail than jump bike or x country race wippet :D
Cheers Paul

Oranges do measure centre to top. I'm 5'10 and a 19" orange is good for me. I could go for a 17.5 but they're too low at the front, small headtubes. I've had 2 clockworks, a p7 and an 02 all in 19" fit me well- tried a 17" clocky- too small (for my tastes)

I think it depends what position you like to have on a bike, I had a 19" C16r in about 96 that suited me fine, but I ran it with a zero rise stem. I now have a 17" C16r from 97 that I run with a 5deg rise stem and the post almost all the way up.

Both bikes had layback seatposts and the saddle all the way back.

I'm 6'0" with a 34" inside leg, and I like a long low front end.

I would say a 17" will be ok as you can tailor the fit with stem/bars and seatpost/saddle variations.

Also what forks are you fitting? (I'm only referring to my rigid set-up)

matt24777":1d5f9wux said:
I think it depends what position you like to have on a bike, I had a 19" C16r in about 96 that suited me fine, but I ran it with a zero rise stem. I now have a 17" C16r from 97 that I run with a 5deg rise stem and the post almost all the way up.

Both bikes had layback seatposts and the saddle all the way back.

I'm 6'0" with a 34" inside leg, and I like a long low front end.

I would say a 17" will be ok as you can tailor the fit with stem/bars and seatpost/saddle variations.

Also what forks are you fitting? (I'm only referring to my rigid set-up)

Hi
i dont know if the geometry is different on the c16r to the p7 coz looking at this lovely c16r which is listed as a 17 the head tube looks much longer
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=251742

that has the kind of setup i was hoping for :D
Cheers Paul

I think the overall geometry is very similar between the P7 and C16r just the tubeset is better on the P7. My 97 17" C16r headtube is 85mm. The tubes on that P7 look huge! what year is it?

I would say look in the manufacturer archive at the 97 catalogue as it gives all the dimensions. But it seems to be off line at this time! :facepalm:

matt24777":32nle8o8 said:
I think the overall geometry is very similar between the P7 and C16r just the tubeset is better on the P7. My 97 17" C16r headtube is 85mm. The tubes on that P7 look huge! what year is it?

I would say look in the manufacturer archive at the 97 catalogue as it gives all the dimensions. But it seems to be off line at this time! :facepalm:

Hi , yes i thought the same tbh but looking at the for sale c16r above the head tube looks more like a 19 than a 17 ? the more i look the more i think mine is a 98 model .
Cheers Paul

shinobi":300jyll3 said:
Hi , yes i thought the same tbh but looking at the for sale c16r above the head tube looks more like a 19 than a 17 ? the more i look the more i think mine is a 98 model .
Cheers Paul

yeah the gap on the back of the head tube between the top tube and the down tube makes me think the same, mine are almost touching.

Latest posts

Back