Miserable riders!

as most of my kit is at least 20 years old or mtb related this is interesting,

NeilM":1z8grygl said:
...................First, because I was riding a drop bar bike wearing a helmet with a PEAK. This is close to a hanging offence amongst the hard core roadies...............

I only have a helmet with a peak (may be able to remove but never done so), must have missed something in 20 years or has this always been the case ?

NeilM":1z8grygl said:
..................Second, I was wearing a (very smart) pair of Ron Hill Tracksters, a verboten garment as I understand it...............

really, I have a pair of (not so smart) fluorescent yellow tracksters (originally from when I rowed) but always good for when was bit chilly, riding the fixie in London and politely pointing out to drivers who say they didn't see me what anyone else who did see me might say.......

so I guess should expect to be shunned by any roadie types ??

Seems to me the fatter your tyres, shonkier your bike, less up to date your kit the happier you are.
Retrobikers, singlespeeders and fat bikers in my experience are a cheery bunch :D

velomaniac":6pciwgsp said:
Seems to me the fatter your tyres, shonkier your bike, less up to date your kit the happier you are.
Retrobikers, singlespeeders and fat bikers in my experience are a cheery bunch :D

glad you said the "fatter your tyres" or maybe just not worried about impressing anyone anymore

NeilM":2xgkjc10 said:
Given that I ride a minimum of 300k per month on the road, I am attuned to the subtleties of some roadies methods of acknowledgement, but this lot were just grumpy. Either that, or they felt no sense of kinship or community with other cyclists and hence no need to say hello or good morning, and that is a shame.

The strawberry line's gravelly isn't it, and it's only 10miles long? That means any 'roadie' on the strawberry line, is probably not a roadie. I ride with the local road bike club, and I have to say that most people don't wave or nod back to us. If riding properly in a group nose to tail, the people at the back can't see anything and are relying totally on the riders in front for warnings, riding two up most are talking to each other. Strung out in single file at 30mph I certainly haven't got the concentration to wave at other people. There are some high class riders in our club, and noone thinks that grams makes any difference, the general consensus being, 'man up, it's all about your legs'.

The 'group' riders. We have those, all on various bikes but matching cycling club tops. Gloves, armbands, leg warmers, bibs, tights, you name it, they're wearing it. They rarely wave at the clown cyclist - me. Having just covered 25 miles off road and just contemplating the 20 mile ride home on road with daft sized tyres and 40 year old bicycle contraption, the tweeds getting a bit stuffy by now so a swift dram and its off home.

daugs":2ihj4xcz said:
so I guess should expect to be shunned by any roadie types ??

Not necessarily - I see you're in Hampshire (as am I at present), and I always do my best to acknowledge other riders, so if our paths ever cross you're guaranteed at least one quick "hello"!

David

I always wear lycra. Makes getting the gut covered so much easier :cool:
I always say hello to every one and have had some great conversations with people on every type of machine, the best one being an old boy on an electric bike that he had built himself. He reckoned it would do over 20Mph but seeing as that is probably illegal he only used it to burn off boring people ! So I didnt see him go for it :D

It's the old 'Obsessives versus Enthusiasts' scenario again...

...the more you enjoy what you're doing the more people look down their noses at you!

I miss my old Kilauea with its 52T triple chainset; tagging along with the Roadies when I lived in Cambridge was better than s*x (well, almost!), and it was best to hang back at the tail end of a group for mile after mile enjoying the incredulous backwards glances that became more and more frequent the further we went! :LOL:

Peeling off at Harston to head back into the City center was almost a disappointment...

Its funny, round these parts I find the mtbers giving death stares more than the roadies... but they are usually all kitted up in team gear riding a 29er giant

Well most riders round my neck of the woods tend to be on mountain bikes and more often then not i tend to get them giving a little nod of their head if i glance there way while i'm walking the pooch round the estate and i don't really see many roadies if i'm honest and those that i do see don't tend to let on regardless to whether their in a group or not :? ..

Back