Cove or GT??

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
OK, so here's the situation.

I've just built up my lovely STS. I love it, but I don't love it enough not to be tempted by something else (especially as the STS is probably one size bigger than I'd have liked, given the choice)..

The "something else" has presented itself in the shape of a rather lovely 2005/2006 15.5" Cove Hustler frame. I can't afford to buy it outright, but I could afford it if I sold the STS frame.

Now, I've built the STS with non period bits (Pace RC40s, Hope Pro 3s, Crank Brothers bits), so I won't need to buy anything else if I got the Cove (literally nothing - the only difference is the seatpost size, but I've been offered a seatpost with the Cove so that's not an issue). I could swap everything straight over, and all of the bits on the STS would look just as at home on the Hustler...

The Cove is in perfect working order, as is the GT.

So, do I go with the Cove or do I stick with the GT?

Re: Cove or GT - Poll!!

If the GT is too big for you, get rid! There's nothing worse than a too big bike, and the Cove will give you a hint of the simple life; no bearings/bushes to lube or change, just pick it up and ride!
You might even throw away those unnecessary gears...

cove on the basis of size and that it's a better suspension design

suburbanreuben":207gopub said:
If the GT is too big for you, get rid! There's nothing worse than a too big bike, and the Cove will give you a hint of the simple life; no bearings/bushes to lube or change, just pick it up and ride!
You might even throw away those unnecessary gears...

I've already thrown away 16 of them! The STS is a 1 x 8 and I intend to keep the Cove the same ;)

I'd get the Cove too.

As the others have said, putting up with a bike that is too big sucks. The Cove's are really nice bikes too, the paint can be a bit suspect but they are supposed to ride really well. I remember when everyone had Stiffees but they don't seem so common or popular these days.

Do it. I think you know what you want to do and you're looking for reassurance from us lot (I do it all the time too).

it's up to you, if the decision was up to me, i'd sell something else and have both!!!

Thanks for the comments so far :D

As Mindmap quite rightly pointed out, I'm fairly certain about what I want to do and I've now stuck the STS frame up for sale to see if there's any interest.

Much as I love it (one of the best riding FS frames I've owned, old or new), I think the fact that it feels ever so slightly too big is always going to be in the back of my mind so if I can sell it while it's still in excellent condition then I think that's the best way forward. I'll be keeping my eye out for a 16" or 14.5" though!

In the meantime, I've got a Cove frame which needs picking up: ;)

p4pb7873596.jpg

That Cove is lovely. It'll look great with your stuff on it.

The STS is a nice bike, but I can't help thinking that the Cove will just be better. Modern shocks are much better than old ones with more scope for tuning etc.

Mindmap3":3i36vym1 said:
That Cove is lovely. It'll look great with your stuff on it.

The STS is a nice bike, but I can't help thinking that the Cove will just be better. Modern shocks are much better than old ones with more scope for tuning etc.

It belongs to a good mate of mine, and I've known the bike since he bought it brand new. I won't be running the seatpost quite as high as it is in the picture ;)

Back