Lycra Lovers

I have ridden using bib shorts for years, as I found ordinary cycle shorts had a nasty habit of becoming slightly loose during the ride, the net result being that I looked like I had soiled myself when I got off the bike. It looked worse in winter when puddles and mud were involved :oops:

My fave all round shorts are Wiggle Team shorts. They are made by DHB, but have more padding than the ordinary DHB shorts.

Unfortunately, they appear to have stopped making them, at least in the old black with white logo style and I hope they are not gone forever. I also hope that they are not only available in the Wiggle Honda ladies pro team colours. I'm not sexist, but there is something not quite right about a bloke wearing a ladies team replica kit. :?

Prendas are also an excellent source of kit, although Italian sizing does tend to be a size small.

The History Man":3i5ecz1z said:
Underwear?

Never, which must make your second hand selection suddenly feel a bit creepy :LOL:

Though if it is just a shortish ride with those lightweight liners you can get away with a very snug tight cotton boxers.

Problem is that I really don't like tights and have to cover up so thought something under my regular clothes would be ok. Ah we'll a good wash will sort them out!

As for being ok for up to 30m my longest ride to date is just under 18 (i live in he home of the HONC) so not going to trouble that for a while yet.

Shorts or bibs are great under other clothes. My legs are not fit for public exposure, so I wear Ron Hill Tracksters when riding my mtb's and 3/4 knicks or shorts and lycra knee warmers on the road bike.

I am happy to offset a little additional sweat, in order to preserve my personal dignity :mrgreen:

I'm really fussy when it comes to pads, and in all honesty am happier without a pad, I guess I've just got a numb ass. Realistically, I use pads because my nob shows through lycra & that's not cool for everyone else. Pads make you sweaty, and this can lead to problems. I've tried a lot of pads and can say that: campagnolo team kit is ok, I bought some brand new 2013 altura 3/4 bibs and they are fantastic, I can ride in them all day, not cheap at about £80 though.

There's Pearl Izumi, and everything else.

Although Castelli's not bad in a pinch.

also, the padding isn't really padding, the chamois is more to protect agains chafing rather than a comfortable thing to sit on... personally I find the thinner ones are better than the thick-made form a seat cushion ones, a bit like saddles. Hence why you don't wear underwear with them, it defeats the entire purpose of the wearing them.

I started riding with old lycra or cotton "bike shorts" that I used to use running, the day I got my first pair of knicks was a great great day, the comfort levels went off the chart.

So what about gel over foam? I currently have foam padded shorts (not bib) and am umming and aaahing over gel ones as an 'upgrade'. Interesting reading peoples opinions on this. I would assume that the diference would be quite noticable, but I am often mistaken!

interesting stuff. i;ve never used bibs or padded shorts. something i am now considering since i;m doint the london to brighton in a couple of months time......
not so fussed about cushioning, just chaffing.....
whats the best choice for the chaffing issues?

twain":1pa9k0yi said:
whats the best choice for the chaffing issues?

There are a host of creams that are applied to the chamois and also... erm, down there, to help avoid chaffing.

I made the mistake of smirking when I saw a nice new tub going into my son's hand luggage while he was packing for a 5 days cycling / training holiday in Portugal. He made it quite clear, in fluent Anglo-Saxon, that when riding in excess of 100k per day, if you still want skin in 'that' region when you finish a ride, you use the cream :oops:

Back