Rate this frame (please) - scott summit sport 1997

oliverracing

Old School Hero
Ok so I have been running a Scott sumit sport 1997 (Tange infinity tubing, rides beautifully...) frame slicked out and singlespeed for the last few months after the purchase of and M-Trax 2000 Ti, frame which the shiny components are now on. But the thing is that I was stopped by a guy (mid 40s at a guess) saying that when it came out is was a lovely frame/bike and he used to own one fitted with full XT and a few bits of XTR, and that it was too nice to be using as a campus hack.

Now am I wrong in thinking that he's wrong and that tange infinity tubing was a lower spec tubeset (and not MTB but a road one)? And might he have upgraded a low spec frame with some blingy parts a bit too much?

If it really is a hidden gem I would be happy to sell or swap it (or just the frame?) with an 1980s road or touring bike, not if not then I'm happy to use it as a campus hack and leave it to fend the elements off (it's kept indoors overnight at least :D ) till it eventually get stolen :cry: or breaks :(

The 1996 Summit retailed for around $630 and was specced with a mixture of STX and STX-RC. I've read that the sport has roughly the same components. That would make it a low-mid-range bike in my book.

Nothing wrong with Tange infinity tubing. It may be heavier than Reynolds 353458833196 or whatever other number, but it still makes for nice frames.

That's along the line of what I thought, hence why it has been relegated to a campus bike (a nice one though :) )

Any Ideas on the value of these frames? (in average condition with some chips and scratches) - after I posted this thread I started looking at some mid 80s road/touring bikes to replace it/ add some gears!

Back