Help! Newbie needs some help with an Orange P7 *Pics Added!*

Haha, no not yet I don't see him so much these days (I'm going back 6 odd years when I traded!), he got the best side of the bargain in some ways though. Included with them FX was a mint Boss CE2 Black Label which was worth a bob or 2 then but even more so now. I was more than happy with the trade though!!

Hopefully one day soon he'll get to have a look see, and maybe a ride!

Cheers :)

Re: Help! Newbie needs some help with an Orange P7 *Pics Add

Hey, Just seen your P7 rebuild. Lovely looking build. I've just started stripping down my own Nickel P7 which is almost identical. I spent a painful evening with aluminium foil getting rid of some of the lacquer last night. It's going to come up fantastically, though will take me quite some time.

Did you remove all of the lacquer using Matty's aluminium foil technique, or did you Nitromors it at all?

woodced":3pyhrey9 said:
Hey, Just seen your P7 rebuild. Lovely looking build. I've just started stripping down my own Nickel P7 which is almost identical. I spent a painful evening with aluminium foil getting rid of some of the lacquer last night. It's going to come up fantastically, though will take me quite some time.

Did you remove all of the lacquer using Matty's aluminium foil technique, or did you Nitromors it at all?

Hi mate,

First of all, good look with the build cos it's hard work!

I started using Matty's technique but being the impatient sod I am switched to Nitromors because it was quicker in the end.

Keep us updated, there's loadsa awesome guys on here who will give you all the advice you may need and they're far more knowledgeable than me.

Cheers!

Boromedic":289vtpzf said:
woodced":289vtpzf said:

Hi mate,

First of all, good look with the build cos it's hard work!

I started using Matty's technique but being the impatient sod I am switched to Nitromors because it was quicker in the end.

Keep us updated, there's loadsa awesome guys on here who will give you all the advice you may need and they're far more knowledgeable than me.

Cheers!

After reading all 5 pages of this thread I'm really excited to get cracking with m P7. Keeping natural and well polished was the best bet I think, didn't like the idea of you powder-coating it or respraying it at all.

My nickel frame looks in similar condition to yours did with, what looks like, relatively mild but numerou s surface rust spots 'under' the lacquer with patches of lacquer coming off.

My main question for you now that you are a seasoned pro at getting the lacquer off, is how did you go about applying the Nitromors? That stuff makes me quite anxious about damaging the nickel, but good to see that actually some one (you) has used the stuff to good effect. Seen so many people suggest Nitromors, but not seen any actual examples, and/or, methods of using it.

I tried the tin foil and warm water, but I simply don't have months—which would be the sort of timeframe I would be looking at. Don't mind spending time polishing, but not scrapping metal foil on metal. :)

I digressed a little, but if you can give me an idea of how you used Nitromors: how long you kept it on the frame for before removing the Nitromors (surely not a metal scraper, do some people simply hose it off?)

In terms of the polishing after the Nitromors what did you use: metal polish and hand cloth or polish pads on a drill?

Any advice on how you did most gratefully received. Been anxious about doing this, so hearing it from the horses mouth after doing such a bang-up job would help a lot.

Oh, and love the brake/gear out casings.

Regards
Graham

I'm in the middle of stripping my P7... Nitromors is next to useless on it... In desperation tried some really cheap stuff (white bottle) in B&Q. £2 odd for the smaller one...

It's worked wonders and the frame is fully stripped in four applications...

Will post pics of bottle if anyone interested...

Oh, and OP, did you get the foil sticker of Gil... Great bike by the way, these things look best with that understated touch.

You did an amazing job on your Orange and it's really refreshing to see you staying original with the finish on the frame :cool: ..

imjustcreative":gve00mnz said:
After reading all 5 pages of this thread I'm really excited to get cracking with m P7. Keeping natural and well polished was the best bet I think, didn't like the idea of you powder-coating it or respraying it at all.

My nickel frame looks in similar condition to yours did with, what looks like, relatively mild but numerou s surface rust spots 'under' the lacquer with patches of lacquer coming off.

My main question for you now that you are a seasoned pro at getting the lacquer off, is how did you go about applying the Nitromors? That stuff makes me quite anxious about damaging the nickel, but good to see that actually some one (you) has used the stuff to good effect. Seen so many people suggest Nitromors, but not seen any actual examples, and/or, methods of using it.

I tried the tin foil and warm water, but I simply don't have months—which would be the sort of timeframe I would be looking at. Don't mind spending time polishing, but not scrapping metal foil on metal. :)

I digressed a little, but if you can give me an idea of how you used Nitromors: how long you kept it on the frame for before removing the Nitromors (surely not a metal scraper, do some people simply hose it off?)

In terms of the polishing after the Nitromors what did you use: metal polish and hand cloth or polish pads on a drill?

Any advice on how you did most gratefully received. Been anxious about doing this, so hearing it from the horses mouth after doing such a bang-up job would help a lot.

Oh, and love the brake/gear out casings.

Regards
Graham

Hi Graham,

Sorry for the delay in replying mate I've been away etc.

Thanks for all your kind comments, it all turned out ok in the end!

In terms of how I did it, I was really straightforward in the end and despite some other peoples experiences literally 2 and a bit coatings in Nitromors and it was all off.

I applied the Nitromors with a brush and left it as per the instructions on the tub, I then started removing the lacquer using a variety of things, a cloth, tin foil and for the stubborn bits super fine grade wire wool. Once applied the lacquer comes off really easy in some parts but other bits are a pig hence the wire wool, just use the finest grade you can and scrub, if you struggle then try the next grade up, I did that round all the areas tubes meet and around the wheel mounts because they are some of the worst to de-lacquer. The frame and nickel came to no harm on mine so you should be fine. Also remember to wear gloves just in case you get any on you.

Of course YMMV, but I will say the second time I applied the Nitromors I used a thicker coating and left it longer than the stated time so that may have helped. It won't hurt your frame, its safe for wood so on steel it will be fine. Plus most of the stuff on the net about Nitromors suggests the stuff isn't all that strong any more, I can't comment on that but can say I had no problems at all with it. Also I did it all outside due to the fumes so find a big space or pray for sunshine!

Once I had all the lacquer off, its Autosol time! Again I followed the instructions and with plenty of elbow grease using cloths, some wire wool and also 1/2" cloth strips to wrap around the frame it worked great. I then turtle waxed it for protection, and nearly a year later there's no external rust! I reckon any of the polishing methods you suggested (polish pads with drill) will also be fine, you won't hurt the nickel its super hard wearing stuff.

The gear and brake casings are just Clarks stuff which I got from CRC, not pricey either but they looked kinda cool!

If you want any more info then don't hesitate to ask or PM me, I hope I can be of assistance!

Keep us posted with pics etc!

Cheers mate,

Al

Latest posts

Back