mechagouki's 1991 Marin Eldridge Grade new pix 5/6/2013!

Re: 1991 Marin Eldridge Grade; found another after 20 years.

welcome!
and SNAP i've got one of those, i'd keep the shifters old school if i were you
i've been thinking about doing what i did to my '91 Marin back in the day and update all the bits (slowly)
when they wore out or when i had enough pocket money to do it.
I think i ended up with SS5 brake levers, 986 cantis and DX thumbshifters oh and Tomac Attack grips

Re: 1991 Marin Eldridge Grade; found another after 20 years.

mechagouki":1zjfyppd said:
Hey Frank! Been meaning to email you (you know what I'm like), fancy doing a retro equipped Epic 8 this summer? Julian is up for it.

Might take you up on the STi units, sure I can find something to trade.

alright, i'll set them aside for ya. was planning on posting them up, along with some other stuff for sale as i need to do a clear out. if you need anything else, let me know and i'll have a look for ya. ;)

sure, if you wanna do the Epic 8 again, i'm game. i may have a few other guys i can ask to join as i made some new friends since you moved out of my life! :LOL:

Re: mechagouki's 1991 Marin Eldridge Grade

Think I've got most of what I need now:

Grips as mentioned earlier, very cheap and exactly as I remember them BITD:

IMG_5872_zpsc63b7fb3.jpg

These brake pads appear identical to stock, but are packaged as Altus now, hopefully a little softer than the originals:

IMG_5873_zps4daa40c4.jpg

A minor deviation from stock build, I think these hangers will suit the bike, the original Shimano parts are too rusty to bring back:

IMG_5880_zps312450be.jpg

The one major expense of the build, a Selle Italia Flite 1990 replica. This seat sells for well over twice what I paid for the bike, but I didn't think anything else would seem right (to me). Although I've owned many, many Flite seats over the last 23 years I think this might actually be the first brand new one I've ever bought, maybe a measure of how much I like this bike!

IMG_5878_zpsb964f5ce.jpg

I notice the base is 10% carbon fibre now, perhaps this will delay the inevitable Flite hammocking issue. The leather on the new ones has a nice, less shiny finish to it that I think will suit the bike.

I've got a three day weekend this week, so hopefully I can grab enough time to throw it all together.

Re: mechagouki's 1991 Marin Eldridge Grade

I like what i see so far. Maybe i can manage it to get on with my own Eldridge Grade this summer.

Had some time today so I threw the Eldridge together and took it for a ride in the sun:

IMG_5891_zps0f66ba89.jpg

Yes, I know my house needs painting.

IMG_5890_zpsf34a2bab.jpg

Possible retina damage looking at this bike.

IMG_5889_zps20eb93c4.jpg

Blue genuine Shimano housing one of a few minor deviations from stock.

IMG_5888_zps4964efc4.jpg

Wheels are in great shape.

IMG_5886_zpsd2fabccf.jpg

I drive retro too...1989 Toyota 4Runner for anyone who cares.

IMG_5887_zps0b3a8783.jpg

Perhaps not as cool as Zolatone, but I love how this bike looks.

Rides just as I remembered. Push/push DX Sti units absolutely as awful as I remembered - will be gone for modern units soon - sorry. Felt great riding it, very deja-vu. Flite seat will take some getting used to (again), doesn't compare too well to my modern seats comfort wise.
I have more plans for the bike, I have a nice XT/RM17 wheelset I'll probably throw on, maybe some blue ano'd bolts here and there. It's going to see some miles though, so I won't be going crazy cosmetics wise.

:D .....Lovely.......but 'aaaahhhhhhggghhhh........my eyes!!'.....

Don't fret about changing a few bits on it, I would keep them if the urge arises to put them back on in the future, but surely the only important thing is that you are enjoying owning it!....

Yep, it makes me happy just looking at it!

One thing - I thought maybe my memory of setting up the DX/XT New Low Profile cantilevers was clouded by the years - surely they couldn't be as fiddly as I remembered? But they are! Absolutely the most ******* annoying brakes ever to set up (yes I'm including U-brakes), the Tektro hangers take some of the pain out of the process but still a PITA. It's just as well they work so well or they would be on my hate list with the STi units.

mechagouki":3aa97xeu said:
Yep, it makes me happy just looking at it!

One thing - I thought maybe my memory of setting up the DX/XT New Low Profile cantilevers was clouded by the years - surely they couldn't be as fiddly as I remembered? But they are! Absolutely the most ******* annoying brakes ever to set up (yes I'm including U-brakes), the Tektro hangers take some of the pain out of the process but still a PITA. It's just as well they work so well or they would be on my hate list with the STi units.

My advice?? Get one of these! Makes life a lot easier!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001D8WLQO/r ... wo=&hvqmt=

Attachments

• brake shoe tuner.jpg
    brake shoe tuner.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 763
Genius! I've worked as a shop wrench for years and I've never seen that before!

I will order one today. Thanks dude!

Latest posts

Back