1982 Diamond Back Ridge Runner

Re: 1982 Diamondback Ridge Runner

I have a couple of sets of generic bull moose bars but it wouldn't be worth the shipping costs to get them across the world. Something to think about. I was riding a wheelie on my DB Mean Streak back in 86. When I came down, the bars snapped at the stem. At least on my set the quality control on the DB bar/stem combo was only good for a few years.

A couple of pics from long before digital was an option.

lastscan3.jpg

lastscan2.jpg

The Mean Streak was top end DB for the year, but the name got changed to something a little more PC.

Another fantastic 80's build!

Where did the butterscotch tyres come from? If they are cheap enough they would be perfect my my lugged 80's Raleigh 501 build...

Thank you for the comments and the retro pictures of the Mean Streak. I'll keep a careful eye on the bars though they seem solid enough.

The tyres are "Lucky Stone" and I bought them from a seller called Curio UK Tyres, who sells various colour tyres on ebay and Amazon. They are £5.49 each on Amazon at the moment + 3.98 packaging (It may have been £4.97 for a pair I think).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CURIO-SLICK-CRE ... 914&sr=8-1

I've not ridden on them yet, but they seem similar in quality to other cheaper road-designed tyres I have used - like Nokia City Runners. I think they are only rated at max 40 or 45 psi, but the Nokia ones I had were the same and happily ran at 50 with no punctures or issues. I asked if anyone had experience of them:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=239959&p=1800368&hilit=lucky+stone#p1800368

but since no-one seemed to have tried them I thought I'd give them a test and then be able to add my views on them to that thread in case anyone fancied trying them in the future.

I've stripped the bottom bracket, so now I'm just deciding what I should do in terms of corrosion protection on the areas of the frame that have lost their paint. Hopefully I should have it built up in the next few weeks as I think I now have all the parts I need.

I love my Mean Streak. Can anyone tell me about the lugs? They look like they were inspired by Nervex lugs? I understand that these DB's were made in the same factory as the Specialized Stumpjumper with the main difference being the lugs?

Attachments

• meanstreak.JPG
    meanstreak.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,367

Nice! Do you have more pictures of your Mean Streak? did it have those bars when you got it or did it have the diamond ones?

That's interesting about the lugs, but I can't really cast any more light on it. I'll try to take a close up picture or two of my frame though.

I really need to get on with this project, I really don't have much left to do other than assembling it, but have been really busy recently. If I don't get time before my June exams I should definitely have it built soon after.

Nothing on the my Meanstreak is original, I purchased it as just a frame and fork. I think I got one pedal with it. I believe those bars are the Milan bar that Velo Orange sells. I like these bars because they allow a comfortable angle for my arms to land on.

The previous pic is more current but unfortunately blurry. The pic below was taken soon after she was brought back to life.

Attachments

• meanstreak c.JPG
    meanstreak c.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,324
  • meanstreak b.JPG
    meanstreak b.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,324

That looks great emarks, the frame looks very similar to the Ridge Runner frame, right down to the paint scheme. What does the tubing decal say?

kingoffootball":1qfxs7bf said:
That looks great emarks, the frame looks very similar to the Ridge Runner frame, right down to the paint scheme. What does the tubing decal say?

I'm pretty sure the Ridge Runner got renamed Mean Streak in 1983 or 84.. The 1984 DB catalog shows three 26" cruiser/ATB type bikes, all branded with Streak in their name... "Sand Streak", "Mean Streak" and "Trail Streak".. the Mean Streak is the best equipped bike, with Champion #5 frame, though the specs suggest the stays are not cromo. The 1984 paint job is silver with a black head tube (opposite of the ridge runner)

I'm not sure what the names were in 1985, but the Apex and Ascent marques were being used in 1986. By 1987 all of the original "Streak" names had been dropped, though the "Fleet Streak" does appear as a low end model in catalogs until at least 1989

Back