Help save an abandoned rockhopper!

Re: Found a rockhopper!

Sounds like if it stayed where it was it'll have ended up on the tip, and been landfilled/scrapped/or sold on

Might be worth popping down the cop shop with the frame number just to be safe though

They may want to grab it as lost property for a time, after which you can have it, my guess is they won't give a stuff, but you'll be safe in the knowledge you won't gat in any bother with it

Looks like a cool frame, size/geometry looks my old stumpy which I loved I'm about 6' and it handled brilliantly for me, now that did get nicked! And that sucked big time

hydorah":29ngyg3m said:
Sounds like if it stayed where it was it'll have ended up on the tip, and been landfilled/scrapped/or sold on

Might be worth popping down the cop shop with the frame number just to be safe though

They may want to grab it as lost property for a time, after which you can have it, my guess is they won't give a stuff, but you'll be safe in the knowledge you won't gat in any bother with it

Looks like a cool frame, size/geometry looks my old stumpy which I loved I'm about 6' and it handled brilliantly for me, now that did get nicked! And that sucked big time
Indeed! I'm pretty confident that it's all legit though. It doesn't look like it's been stripped for parts and I can't imagine it having been nicked in the state it's in now. Came with a (knackered) back wheel. It's amazing what people throw away but at the end of the day this only has a value to someone who likes doing up old bikes. I could report it but I have a feeling I'd get laughed out of the police station... Sorry to hear you lost yours - it's happened to me too and I'm still gutted.

coomber":29ngyg3m said:
Mine in signature is the same, putting finishing touches to that and it'll be up and running. Think the 17 inch would be better suited but that would be OK with seat down.

Good score, if all as above board etc etc
Will keep an eye on your thread!

Size wise, with a 34" inside leg I generally feel better on a largeish frame, so I'd imagine this would fit me better than the 17". My current off roader is this huge Raleigh Yukon (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=248286) which I find more comfy than the smaller Ozark.

davemev":29ngyg3m said:
Yes the FS means front suspension I think. I nearly bought this bike but opted for the 1997 Rockhopper A1 instead! It was rigid but at the time I wanted an aluminium frame. I've still got it now. So are you gonna build it?
Yes! :D But slowly as I've already committed to buy back a Dawes Ranger (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93142&start=30) from a mate which I was going to build up as a tourer, and I have a 50s Viking Tour of Britain also awaiting rebuild. It ought to be nicer than the Yukon, so seems the right thing to do. Gonna be a busy summer.

Your thoughts welcomed on original spec vs period upgrades vs modern bits... got some bits and bobs here but suggestions/offers of parts welcomed!

I have a 34 inside leg and have ridden a few 19 inch frame of this era and its a good size

Based on the comments above I reckon it'll fit fine. Worst case I suppose I'll need to fit a shorter stem.

coomber":2ahftwuv said:
Seat post is 30.4 if memory serves me right
Thanks, but I've got the seat post! Just removed it to get it in the car... No clamp/bolt though.

Hi Tom, I bought the Ozark wheels if you remember - very happy with them. Might have an Avanti frame for sale soon (I now have two).

Anyway that's not why I'm posting, thought it might be of interest to you and others in this thread that when I reported a bike I had found (it was complete and almost working) the police said I had to wait 28 days before keeping it.

But as they had no storage space they asked me to keep it for those 28 days. They took details but as there was no report of it being stolen I just treated it as mine from then on, save from a quick call after 28 days. My daughter has it now.

They said the whole thing could have been done by email. I suppose a different police force might have had the storage space.

I think you have plenty to refute dishonesty and any suggestion you didn't honestly think it was abandoned (which is a requirement of theft by finding) but this approach would cover anyone in this situation completely.

jaypee":2byr7ghr said:
Hi Tom, I bought the Ozark wheels if you remember - very happy with them. Might have an Avanti frame for sale soon (I now have two).

Anyway that's not why I'm posting, thought it might be of interest to you and others in this thread that when I reported a bike I had found (it was complete and almost working) the police said I had to wait 28 days before keeping it.

But as they had no storage space they asked me to keep it for those 28 days. They took details but as there was no report of it being stolen I just treated it as mine from then on, save from a quick call after 28 days. My daughter has it now.

They said the whole thing could have been done by email. I suppose a different police force might have had the storage space.

I think you have plenty to refute dishonesty and any suggestion you didn't honestly think it was abandoned (which is a requirement of theft by finding) but this approach would cover anyone in this situation completely.

Joe, thanks for the info - I'm glad to hear that the wheels worked out for you. Let me know about the Avanti - I've fancied one for some time!

Thats my bike!!!

Nah, just kidding, though I did have that exact bike when I was younger. Quite a good ride it was too, though the Indy C fork let it down and I found the Spesh Strongarm cranks a bit flexy, though the frame flexed a tad as well so it might have been an exagerated feeling. It had Ritchey Rims from new on Spech hubs along with a fair dose of Specialized's own finishing kit. In fact, my mate that I sold it to still has it, albeit with some old school orange Z1 forks which seemed a good idea at the time when I had them fitted, a bit too much travel for the frame really if I am honest.

Kind of want the forks back now! They would suit my Saracen perfectly! If only the hard springs were still easily available :(

Although I'm confident that the bike is kosher I've reported my find to the Met just to be sure. Used this online form - apparently they'll get back to me in 4 days:

https://secure.met.police.uk/boroughcon ... p?rid=2812

Whatleymeister":3j7o8xxn said:
Thats my bike!!!

Nah, just kidding, though I did have that exact bike when I was younger. Quite a good ride it was too, though the Indy C fork let it down and I found the Spesh Strongarm cranks a bit flexy, though the frame flexed a tad as well so it might have been an exagerated feeling. It had Ritchey Rims from new on Spech hubs along with a fair dose of Specialized's own finishing kit. In fact, my mate that I sold it to still has it, albeit with some old school orange Z1 forks which seemed a good idea at the time when I had them fitted, a bit too much travel for the frame really if I am honest.

Kind of want the forks back now! They would suit my Saracen perfectly! If only the hard springs were still easily available :(

LOL. Wondering whether to keep the rigid forks fitted or get something else. I'm so retro that I've never had suspension on a bike (unless you count a Moulton). What does everyone think? I'd like to keep the build cheap and I'm guessing good forks won't be.

Back