Basso loto 80's steel bike, Jamaica paint, respray or not?

bishop88

Retro Newbie
I have had this bike since 1990 and it holds some fond memories as I won a few races on it including a stage of the tour of Ireland in 1990. As you can see the paint job is a little chipped and there is a lot of tar/oily dirt on it although it appears to be chromed underneath. Apart from that the frame ( Colombus SLX, cinelli lugs) is pristine and rides like it did when I raced on it. Some of the parts were cannibalised over the years but that unique Mavic chain set is still on it - as used by Greg LeMond while winning his first Tour de France. Do you think that I should clean up the frame or just respray? Any of you who look hard enough will see that the original fork is not there, it was replaced by a 531 professional fork after the bike fell of a car on the way to a race. The saddle and fork were the only items affected. Are retro parts freely available or would you recommend changing out for modern parts? Any advice appreciated, I would like to make this restoration a project. Photos attached...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1,222
Re: Basso loto 80's steel bike, Jamaica paint, respray or no

If it were my bike I would strip it down, take the frame to your local car paint supply shop, have them match the paint and mix up a small amount for you. Then paint in the chips first with a dab of primer then with the coloured top coat, then let the paint dry for a week. Whilst waiting on the paint hardening clean all the components with a degreasing solution and give the seatpost and stem a polish with Solvol Autosol. For the Starfish crank degrease and polish with Autoglym, don't use the Solvol on the Starfish

Autoglym or similar polish has a small amount of cutting compound and should work well for the frame and Starfish, keep changing the cloth for a clean cloth, DO NOT be tempted to use T-Cut on the paintwork as the paint is thin and you will soon go through to the bare metal. DO NOT use Solvol Autosol on the starfish as you will remove the protective coating

If you plan on keeping it for the next 23 years, why not go the whole hog and have a proper respray?

Matt_wood55":1he1nti2 said:
If you plan on keeping it for the next 23 years, why not go the whole hog and have a proper respray?

+1

IMO clean up the parts and respray the frame, try to find some new decals on the net and back on the road. :)

Great bike with also a great story, and if the parts are still good I would keep them.

You only get one chance with the original.......... after that it's just a respray. If it holds fond memories then keep the original paint :D

Shaun

I appreciate the responses. I will try Autoglym and Solvol on the paintwork and components to see if it makes a dramatic improvement. I am a little reluctant to respray in case the original style is lost but will do so if I am getting nowhere. The thing about the basso paint work is that it is very thin with no apparent clear coat, if you look at it it chips. Don't know if others out there with 80's basso frame sets noticed this too.

Yup keep it original gets my vote too... All the scars tell a story :cool:

I'd take it to Argos cycles of Bristol and have them do an exact reproduction.

otherself":3fvkmuxu said:
I'd take it to Argos cycles of Bristol and have them do an exact reproduction.

+1 and it will be an exact reproduction, just with better and more durable paint and clear coat over the decals. Definitely keep it retro, don't be tempted on sneaking any modern parts on there!

Back