29ers are the darkside but . . .

of all the hub gears i think alfine is the best option and i don't like the roller brake, also there was a useful link i found somewhere with the pros and cons of various drop outs vs tension options, the eccentric b/b did not float my boat, i like the simplicity it brings to the rear end but not the potential issues to the front, i'm finding myself getting pushed in the direction of a non disc set up . . . . hmm, need to chat with Tom again

What issues are you thinking with the ebb John ? Apart from a larger BB shell, which I have got used too the look of, I find this setup very efficient and reliable way to tension the chain.

messy looking because of the clamping arrangement, possibility of creaking, moving, also that with tensioning the chain/belt the position changes, i'd rather have the adjustment at the rear ideally as i think it's a neater way of doing it, it's the disc mount that makes it messy

jonnyboy666":vq9dhelc said:
messy looking because of the clamping arrangement, possibility of creaking, moving, also that with tensioning the chain/belt the position changes, i'd rather have the adjustment at the rear ideally as i think it's a neater way of doing it, it's the disc mount that makes it messy

I'll get a picture of the Jones set up( if your interested), it's very neat and tidy, no external bolts under the BB shell which is often the case. Also getting a good quality ebb is the key, as you mentioned cheap ones can move and creak.

What about a philcentric external bb, allows the use of standard drop outs with disc tabs, and keeps a standard size shell.

Not really relevant, but.... I was forced into borrowing my mates Santa Cruz Highball this weekend in Wales, after the pivot bearing on my Superlight failed on the first day :roll:
I rode 30 miles on it yesterday, and did a few more this morning, and it's head and shoulders the best bike I've ever ridden.
I was ridiculously fast up-hill, and none of my mates got away from me (on their full bouncers) coming back down, including the one black run we did.
I've never really got the big wheels on bouncy bikes, but they sure work on a sorted hard-tail!

I'm a bit late to the party and I guess decisions may have been made so disregard what follows if so ....

When I read our OP I immediately thought Genesis Fortitude and strangely not because I have one :LOL:

IMHO almost limiting clearance (you mentioned tyres earlier) limits the appeal/flexibility of the frame.

I currently have my Fortitude set up with an Alfine and 42mm tyres. The drop bar in the pics may go for the reverse reason of you not wanting to put a flat/riser bar on a cross bike.

IMG_0549_zpsddc54fb6.jpg

The flexibility of being able to fit a proper 29er tyre gives well ..... flexibility :facepalm: :LOL:

The frame being non suspension corrected makes for a neutral riding position even with risers.

Again IMHO taking a frame like the Simple and adjusting it to fit your requirements would be a waste. My Solaris (same geo as the Simple) is considerably different to the non suspension corrected Fortitude.

i know what you mean about the flat/riser bar, the issue with my cross bike is that the geometry is not ideal for it, cross bikes are designed with drop bars in mind, the flat/riser bar would leave me to short on the bike.

i intend to use 35mm tyres, i want the clearance for wider tyres just incase i want to go wider but i doubt i will.

nothing is set in stone yet though, i need several more chats with tom before any decision is made.

Jon I think we might be talking about the same thing. :LOL:

The geometry and fit of the Fortitude does not lend its self to the drop bar position in much the same way as a dedicated cross bike does not lend itself to a flat bar.

yeah and that's the reason i am looking at this build instead of the cross bike. i will sell the cross bike though which is sort of a shame as i love the look of it and i put some effort into getting it done several years ago.

Back