Miserable riders!

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
We had arranged a little family ride today, as my wife has not ridden a bike in a few years and so we thought it would be nice to meet up with my daughter and ride a nice easy trail from Yatton to Cheddar along the Strawberry Line. My daughter had to dip out, as she has a cold, so my wife and I decided to ride anyway, which gave her a chance to get used to her 'new' 1991 Bear Valley and gave me the chance to give my Franken-Rourke a good try out.

The weather was stunning, the trail is delightful and so were 99% of the people we met along the way, except for a tiny minority, every one of whom was riding either a road, audax or cx bike. We did see a small group of 'gentlemen' all on cx bikes and all in identical tops, they were very jolly and said 'hello', but they were the exception.

I do quite a lot of road riding, and have told my wife about the 'gloom cloud' that seems to hover above many of the serious road riders I see, today my wife got to see them too.

We had a really nice ride, and even though things were getting a little busy on the way back, it was fantastic to see family after family out in the sun, on their bikes, and I just ended up feeling sorry for the few miseries that did not seem to be enjoying their riding and felt they had to scowl at everyone.

Funny you should say that. Was out this morning around Stanway and the only people that I was blanked by were Road types. All it took was a little nod or a grunt as we passed each other. I'm not capable of much else!

Strange isn't it?

I am pretty attuned to the very small hand flick type gestures that a lot of road riders use, but I got the distinct impression that these riders were pissed at having to share 'their' trail with other people.

Not sure what they expected on a Bank Holiday when the sun is out. :roll:

Having had motorcycles for about 25 years then a vintage land rover you get to notice these responses. Have to say that the more Lycra the less friendly ;)

I'm the alternative breed of road rider, one who rides 365 for transport and commuting. We look much alike, except for the peak on my helmet and the mudguards on my audax bike.

The SAS boys emerge about this time each year having spent all winter talking on the internet about the weight of cable ferrules, and by and large they are a miserable bunch. Some at ok, but most are too busy being serious to return a greeting or friendly nod.

Mind you, I'd be miserable too if I'd spent all winter worrying about the weight of my water bottle only to have a commuter on an Audax bike with pannier full of a week's worth of work clothes and a 6 pack of Coke sticking doggedly to my rear wheel.

I find MTB ers are usually Bette in this regard, but I still see the odd one.

Walking or cycling along the South Downs Way people are definitely more miserable the closer they are to car parks. Perhaps it's the same for road cyclists and cars. On country lanes they're quite cheery on main roads they're right sour pusses.

Also BMW motorcyclists don't nod.

Retro Cat; no cars at all, this is a converted railway line for cyclist and walkers only.

I have been giving the matter quite a bit of thought, and it occurs to me that part of this may have been my own fault.

First, because I was riding a drop bar bike wearing a helmet with a PEAK. This is close to a hanging offence amongst the hard core roadies.

Second, I was wearing a (very smart) pair of Ron Hill Tracksters, a verboten garment as I understand it.

Last, I was clearly showing outward signs of enjoyment... and that will never do.

Chopper, you raise a fine point, and I have to say I was not paying enough attention to spot the make or model of the very latest 2013 issue bar tape or the super-lite Vittoria 'Tourmalet' tyres they were using (tubs, naturally), all of which will have only added to their annoyance.

Ah well, only myself to blame I suppose.

NeilM":34yw2g4z said:
Retro Cat; no cars at all, this is a converted railway line for cyclist and walkers only.

Oh well takes all sorts - blow them a kiss next time.

NeilM":286h9oni said:
Second, I was wearing a (very smart) pair of Ron Hill Tracksters, a verboten garment as I understand it.

Last, I was clearly showing outward signs of enjoyment... and that will never do.

Chopper, you raise a fine point,Ah well, only myself to blame I suppose.

Explains it all! :shock:

Back