Ever had anything thrown at you whilst cycling?

Had an apple thrown at me the other week on the road bike from the driver of a passing car, smacked me on the quad and left a lovely big bruise. Couldn't figure out why he was slowing down and had his arm out the window as if he was waving at me :?

Had more stuff (and abuse) thrown at me while out running though.

technodup":32sd2648 said:
A couple of bras and the odd thong.

You are Tom Jones, and I claim my £5. ;)

On a serious note, I've had the odd stone and pebble lobbed at me, and had a water pistol fired at me once (but not even in sufficient volume for it to be refreshing).

David

A plastic bottle, from the passenger window of a Peugeot (along with some abuse shouted), caught up with it at the next set of lights ended up sitting right behind it, four guys in it, could see them talking and one looking over his shoulder, noticed he was turning left, i was going straight on so when the lights changed i left a nice big green gob on his back window :) (i'd been churning it up while sat there)

Also a couple of idiots threw a rock across the road as i was passing, bounced off my front wheel rim with a loud clack, red mist decended, turned the bike round, charged towards them, one managed to dodge out the way, smashed full speed into the other punting him through a hedge (i ended up with a cut arm in the process though :roll: )

Thing is i cant just let things go, i have a short fuse and i retaliate, going to get me into trouble some day :roll:

My mate got egged yesterday! He got the car reg' plate and went straight to his local Police station to report it.

His cycle top is ruined as it had fully dried! Police was not amused at this as it could have been a more deadlier missile.

Ian Raleigh":1958ih4g said:
My mate got egged yesterday! He got the car reg' plate and went straight to his local Police station to report it.

His cycle top is ruined as it had fully dried! Police was not amused at this as it could have been a more deadlier missile.

It's not just the type of missile, anything being thrown at a cyclist could result in them coming off and ending up under a passing vehicle. Could in some circumstances be considered attempted murder. If you stood on a motorway bridge throwing bottles and bricks at cars would that be any more serious an offence?

JamesM":1hgepen2 said:
Ian Raleigh":1hgepen2 said:
It's not just the type of missile, anything being thrown at a cyclist could result in them coming off and ending up under a passing vehicle. Could in some circumstances be considered attempted murder. If you stood on a motorway bridge throwing bottles and bricks at cars would that be any more serious an offence?
Mate! You have just made me remember some years ago of a comical incident which ended up in disaster and the driver side swiped a car :shock:

Whilst driving along on a duel carriageway I noted some teenagers on a pedestrian walk over bridge and saw that they were fooking about spraying something down at passing cars,
Turns out it was tomato sauce! Our car got plastered with the stuff and being local to the area I knew how to get to the bridge,I drove around to the bridge and confronted the
wankers and just at that very second I heard a right noise from down below and a car had side swiped another car! The idiots had sprayed a woman in an open top car and it hit her
in the face causing her to swerve and smash into another car, the teenagers where on bikes and tried to get a quick getaway but I grabbed one and pulled him off his bike and I kindly
gave the youth a good kicking for the convenience of getting my car covered in sauce! The other yobbo's where much faster than me and was never caught.

On the bridge was dozens of empty large cheap tomato sauce plastic bottles. :facepalm:

Not "thrown at me" as such, but I have also had the misfortune to get occasional, erm, aerial bombardment from local birdlife - indeed, there was a near miss on the way to work last week! :oops:

David

I must have been lucky - other than a taxi driver shouting at me to learn the highway code as he brushed past me one Sunday morning in Exeter years ago, I've never had anything like these incidents happen to me. I have had people shout encouragement going up cols or battling into a headwind, but perhaps that's because I've done more miles on the continent than the UK. A pity.

the worst i ever had was a banger (of the firework variety).....it was at last years mayhem when i rode into town, looked like a lit fag smoking in the grass on the verge until i rode past and it went off right next to me.....i didnt make much of it but i guess it could have caused me to fall off as it was really loud!......i had tinitus in the left ear for a few days afterwards......

Rich34":1ht2vknn said:
other than a taxi driver shouting at me to learn the highway code as he brushed past me one Sunday morning in Exeter years ago,

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but this one REALLY rags me; people who do not know and who break the Highway Code rules, telling me to obey them... and incidentally ALWAYS getting it wrong.

I get this more on horses than on the bike, because 99% of the time I am on my own on my bike, but the shout is usually the same "you should be riding single file". I can never actually figure this one out, as if you are riding (horse or bike) two abreast, then you are effectively a shorter, but wider road user. However, if you ride single file, then you are half as wide, but twice as long, and as Rule 162 states that a driver must give us the same amount of room as they would a car (and to be fair, most do), then in single file we are more difficult to overtake, as the driver need more distance. :roll:

What they really mean is; 'you shouldn't be riding that thing on MY road'.

Rant over, and breathe two...three....four......

Back