The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

Nope. On the top pic, there's a silver metal can to the left. That's probably the DAC clock crystal due to it's reasonable proximity to the DAC.

The one with the wire above it. The other one with the screw head in it is an adjustable inductor core. Don't adjust it! ;)

The tone control board plus power supply. No time to test right now, curry time! :)

DSCF20021_zps839c078a.jpg

I wish i knew more about electronics, looking good, have you got a case lined up yet.........will it be a simple inline component ?

Haven't really thought about a case yet. The only option for this sort of device is between pre / power amp or in a tape loop.

Will do more testing tomorrow. Today, it being BH sundaY and all, I'm too drunkened from visit to Upton on Severn music fest :mrgreen:

You could use the x-tone in line, inbetween your cd player and amp ( that has no tone controls ) i was hoping you could build one for me that i can use with my headphone amp ? so i can just use cd/headphone amp and a tone control.....are you saying it is not possible to do so ? :(

The X-Tone can be used either to process the sound of an
individual component in your system or the overall sound of the
whole system. To process an individual component connect the X-
TONE between the component's output and your amplifier's input as
shown.
Alternatively to affect the overall system response you can
connect the X-TONE between Pre and Power Amplifiers, see below.
In some cases the X-TONE can also be inserted in the Tape
Monitor Loop of your amplifier. If

Yes, you could use it with any line-level component, just never heard of one being used for just one source. Thats a bit naff. Dunno why people don't just buy amps with tone controls :)

So there might be a market for tone controls with built in headphone amp...

Back