My Raleigh Maverick 5 & question about ATT 23

fanskopisusu

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

just picked this bike 2 month ago from my parents' house.

It's a 5 speed Raleigh Maverick, produced in November 1985 (according to the first 3 digit in the serial number: NP 5.....)

I remember my Dad bought this bike in 1987 or 1988.
Back then, we used to ride together in weekend, my Dad with the Raleigh and me with my mini-cycle.

Did some cleaning up with help from my wife & my little daughter, and took it to a bikeshop to have all the jammed parts serviced.

And after replacing the busted original tires with the new ones, the bike is ready for action again.

Hard to believe that after more than 20 years "burried" in my parent's attic, all the original parts still working well.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Anybody here knows what is actually Raleigh ATT 23 ? Is it a steel or chromolly ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 4,022
  • Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4,023
  • Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 4,030
  • fullbike.jpg
    fullbike.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 4,036
  • Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4,029
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 4,026
  • crank-rd.jpg
    crank-rd.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 4,023
  • Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4,021
According to my old cycling books, 'AT-23' is plain gauge high tensile steel often also seen written as 'hi-ten'. Raleigh were late onto the MTB scene, infamously dismissing it as a fad so their bikes looked outdated fairly quickly as the scene moved on. What was then outdated is now rather cool but the simple u-brakes let it down.

no catalog I'm afraid but found this for a bit of fun:

4.jpg

most of the maverick was carried straight over from the special edition 5 speed raleigh bomber. seat and post, crank, chain rings and bottom bracket, chrome rims, rear cassette, dérailleur, chain guard, U brakes, frame construction, head set, grips and end caps.

darrenh":lhqt37z9 said:
most of the maverick was carried straight over from the special edition 5 speed raleigh bomber. seat and post, crank, chain rings and bottom bracket, chrome rims, rear cassette, dérailleur, chain guard, U brakes, frame construction, head set, grips and end caps.

The Bomber was based on a Nigerian sold Roadster - there is a letter from the Raleigh Marketing lot stating this back in the dim and distant.

legrandefromage":lhqt37z9 said:
the internet":lhqt37z9 said:
''...Yvonne Rix became product manager. Following her appointment, she noticed older teenagers in England riding conventional cycles fitted with dirt track racing handlebars and sorbo protective padding. This observation led her to instigate the Bomber. To get the desired image and line while minimising the need for retooling, the front end came from a bicycle already in the range, a Nigerian roadster providing the sloping cantilevered back end. Equipped with chunky tyres and specially-made handlebars, the Bomber somewhat resembled an early mountain bike but was well ahead of the MTB craze and was developed independently of it. Launched in 1981, it was promoted in an advertising campaign featuring pop star Toyah Wilcox..''.

And interestingly:

the internet":lhqt37z9 said:
When Yvonne Rix visited the USA and the Far East in 1981, she formed the view that mountain bikes would eventually come down from the hills and onto the streets. The reaction from the Raleigh board was, who needs mountain bikes in England where there are few mountains? Yvonne Rix’s response was that neither do you need a 4x4 to drive in London, but you see plenty of Range Rovers in Chelsea. Not a woman to be easily dissuaded, she kept up the pressure for several years. Yet there was still very little interest in mountain biking in the UK: a review of the UK cycling scene in the International Cycling Guide 1983 made no mention of it.

Eventually, Yvonne Rix persuaded the Raleigh board that a move into mountain bike production made sense. In spring 1985, Raleigh launched Maverick, its first range of MTBs. Offered in 5, 15 and 18-speed versions, it was built using traditional Raleigh roadster-style brazing. However, initial sales were disappointing. The MTB market in the UK remained relatively small, with few domestic players and no meaningful presence yet from American or Taiwanese companies.

83%20Bomber.jpg

cool info, thanks mr fromage :D

heres the 5 speed bomber (the saddle isnt original though) you can see the maverick elements

ltdbomber2.jpg

legrandefromage":3e8nazoy said:
darrenh":3e8nazoy said:

The Bomber was based on a Nigerian sold Roadster - there is a letter from the Raleigh Marketing lot stating this back in the dim and distant.

legrandefromage":3e8nazoy said:
the internet":3e8nazoy said:
''...Yvonne Rix became product manager. Following her appointment, she noticed older teenagers in England riding conventional cycles fitted with dirt track racing handlebars and sorbo protective padding. This observation led her to instigate the Bomber. To get the desired image and line while minimising the need for retooling, the front end came from a bicycle already in the range, a Nigerian roadster providing the sloping cantilevered back end. Equipped with chunky tyres and specially-made handlebars, the Bomber somewhat resembled an early mountain bike but was well ahead of the MTB craze and was developed independently of it. Launched in 1981, it was promoted in an advertising campaign featuring pop star Toyah Wilcox..''.

And interestingly:

the internet":3e8nazoy said:
When Yvonne Rix visited the USA and the Far East in 1981, she formed the view that mountain bikes would eventually come down from the hills and onto the streets. The reaction from the Raleigh board was, who needs mountain bikes in England where there are few mountains? Yvonne Rix’s response was that neither do you need a 4x4 to drive in London, but you see plenty of Range Rovers in Chelsea. Not a woman to be easily dissuaded, she kept up the pressure for several years. Yet there was still very little interest in mountain biking in the UK: a review of the UK cycling scene in the International Cycling Guide 1983 made no mention of it.

Eventually, Yvonne Rix persuaded the Raleigh board that a move into mountain bike production made sense. In spring 1985, Raleigh launched Maverick, its first range of MTBs. Offered in 5, 15 and 18-speed versions, it was built using traditional Raleigh roadster-style brazing. However, initial sales were disappointing. The MTB market in the UK remained relatively small, with few domestic players and no meaningful presence yet from American or Taiwanese companies.

83%20Bomber.jpg

interesting info you have there mr.fromage.
it's always cool to know the history of the bike you're riding :D

Latest posts

Back