Show us yer FSR's

$10 ?

So they list these on the american eBay ?

Never ever seen any on the uk eBay, been searching off and on for a while now.

8am this morning while out and about before bacon sarnie time :D

IMG_20130505_073648_zps940a8d20.jpg

Nice morning for it!

2.2 Continental front and rear

Front is a Rubber Queen
Rear is a Mountain King Mk2

2.2 Rubber queen will fit on the back (just!) but it leaves very little clearance for mud, and to be honest, the MK tyres roll a hell of a lot faster for me.
I always liked the way the MK tires roll nice and fast, but fitting one to the front for me always made me nervous, the amount of times i had the front end wash away from me was unsettling, the Rubber Queen on the front gives the same initial wash out feeling, but they have ALWAYS found grip and got me around the corners.

You could get away with fitting a Rubber Queen on the rear in the summer as long as it stays dry, pointless in the winter though, they are a little bit draggy, this is on an Elite Max backbone frameset though, iirc the chainstays are beefed up a bit, not sure if the other/thinner stays would offer more room (but they always crack so i`m not intrested in them :D )

176631_10151216661584350_1422110691_o_zps9def390e.jpg

That photo is a 2.2 Rubber Queen on the rear of my bike, the little knobbly bits actually started to rub the paint away, and as soon as i got some mud on the tyre the chainstay paintwork was ruined, i stripped it all back, resprayed them silver and had the decals replaced.

I have just fitted the front forks a few days ago, my old 2001 Z1 Drop Offs are just a bit too flexy for me and the riding i do, i replaced the seals/bushes and gave them a full refurb, super smooth, just a bit "twangy" when hitting roots on an angle.

I had an old set of Rock Shox Psylo SL`s in the garage, one stanchion was wrecked, the bushes needed replaced, but for some reason i kept them (usually chuck stuff out)

A set of Psylo XC`s came up on ebay last week, they looked mint, but the seller had stripped them down for cleaning a while back and lost the internals :LOL:

Bought them for £40, upon arrival they are in SUPERB condition, bushes/stanchions/seals all look brand new, the forks were immaculate with just a couple of nicks in the lowers, for those not in the know, the XC models had the basic fork, with a worse damper setup, the SL models had the PURE damper setup with lockout and buttery smooth motion :D the PURE damper setup fitted into the right leg with a couple of mods, i used 10wt oil instead of 5wt as it was all i had on the shelf, bled them and the lockout now works (a sure sign they are bled properly)

The forks were super soft though, looking inside the left leg, they have a medium spring, no good to me, but i do have a nigh on brand new X-Firm U-Turn RS PIKE spring sitting on the shelf, i know this will fit as i did a trial with my old Psylo SL forks a few years back, it needs some mods though, you need to unclip the 32mm top cap off the PIKE spring and fit the 30mm top cap of the Psylo, the older Psylo top caps were all plastic and a bit rubbish, but at some point they uprated them to alloy units, the new forks spring has an alloy topcap, so i will use that :D

The Pike spring is under a bit of preload when fitted to the fork as its a bit longer than the Psylo unit, its no problem though, you just have to push down on the top cap a bit while tightening it up to get the threads to bite.

With the spring being a bit longer, i cant actually get the fork down to 85mm travel any more (i think it was around 95-100), i never drop it that low anyway, what the longer spring does do, is let me exceed the original 125mm setting, i can probably get 135-140 travel out of them now, FWIW i just leave them at 125mm 99.9% of the time.

Super smooth and MUCH stiffer than my old Z1 Drop Offs :D

Bike rides great, apart from an annoying noise which i have traced back to the full length outer cables hitting off the top tube when out of the saddle and hammering the pedals/working the suspension, should really remove them and fit some O Rings around them at some point.

Will probably fit the Z1 Drop Offs to my old copper painted 98 FSR Ground control frame that is still hanging up in the garage, and build up a full bouncy bike for the missus (if she is a good girl :D )

I love conti rubber queens always had them on my other bikes, so will order some now, what are people's opinion on tubes? Cheap and cheerful or puncture proof??

Are you fitting the Rubber Queens to a bike like mine ? :p

You did see the picture i posted? yes they fit, just!!

Expect your paintwork to get rubbed as soon as anythng gets stuck to the tyre on the rear! :D

Never tried the X Kings, they seam to have brought out a load of "new names" that i dont know of, reluctant to change from a setup i trust though.

No paint on the rear sounds ideal for Rubber Queens :D

Back