Peugeot Perthus 753r

Robster914

Retro Guru
Hello experts! I am looking at buying a Peugeot Perthus 753r (graphite grey). Condition is generally very good with just some expected patina and chrome on forks is good. Group set is shimano 600 and is also very good condition. Wheels MA40 on shimano 600 hubs. What is a guide price for a bike such as this? Many thanks!

it was top of the range at the time - i can't honestly remember how much it sold for unfortunately.

in good nick, nothing rusty, nothing buggered i'd offer him a couple of hundred quid tops.

rusty bodie":26e3y7eg said:
it was top of the range at the time - i can't honestly remember how much it sold for unfortunately.

in good nick, nothing rusty, nothing buggered i'd offer him a couple of hundred quid tops.

A key thing I'd watch out for - signs of the chrome looking a bit iffy especially on the rear triangle, as this can have serious consequences for structural integrity in a 753 frame.

David

Thanks for the feedback/advice, very much appreciated. I spoke to the seller and he wants north of £450!

If anyone knows of one for sale at a more realistic price, please do let me know.

David B":3i24j4e7 said:
rusty bodie":3i24j4e7 said:

A key thing I'd watch out for - signs of the chrome looking a bit iffy especially on the rear triangle, as this can have serious consequences for structural integrity in a 753 frame.

David

this is true. raleigh and many other 753 builders of the era wouldn't entertain chroming 753 as you had to literally burn a layer off of the metal to add the chrome. not adviseable on something that's already "waffer theen!" that said, i've got chrome on my beloved 753 and it's not suffered in spite of my considerable excess boeuf!!

:oops:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Mine was £50. However, I was buying it BACK from my wife's Uncle who is now too old to ride it and has swapped to a hybrid. Originally I paid £400 in 1988 from a guy in Bedford who worked for the importers. It was 1 season old at the time. I sold it on in 1995 when I got my Colnago Superissimo, bought it back in Feb.

Thanks one and all! Normally I would expect some haggling action but the owner has a misplaced sense of what the bike is worth, it is very good but not perfect. The search continues... I think a collection should have a theme. As a cycling 'child' of the mid 80's i would like to have a modest collection of a couple of bikes that reflect my heroes of the time. I already have a vitus 979 from my old racing days (Sean Kelly connection). My other hero of the time was Robert Millar (hence Peugeot). I can see this getting out of control (aka expensive).......!

Back