Harlequin Bar Wrapping

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
very much taken with this http://flickeflu.com/groups/1001218@N23/interesting and would like it on one of my 'retro-bikes'.

few questions - was this style aligned to a specific era or is this a newish innovation? seems to be done with old bikes so i've taken the assumption that this was done BITD?

Anyone had a go - is it as painstaking as it looks? any ways of ensuring it looks bob-on? I've read this http://www.wastedlife.org/bike/harlequin/ and was a bit sorry it was on a website called 'wastedlife' but none the less it's been written ok and the end result is ok, not as good as some of the images from the flickefu site though!

I'm not blessed with patience so if anyone's had a go and given it up as a bad job shout up or alternatively if you've had a go and found it simples again share what you know :)

to compound the job I want three colours!

ta all....

Ian Raleigh":1gbq2eev said:
Would look good on a Hetchins or an old Carlton but not on a modern 80's road bike but thats just me.

Suggests that this was all the go way BITD then? might be struggling for a suitable bike if that's the case!! Really can't do another bike just for the sake of some bar tape!

You can!!! Great excuse for a bike purchase, i might even try it on my wife!!!

I'll get my coat (before i get hit with a frying pan)....

Richard

TGR":pzb8vyle said:
You can!!! Great excuse for a bike purchase, i might even try it on my wife!!!

I'll get my coat (before i get hit with a frying pan)....

Richard

Richard, if you can use that as an excuse for a new purchase then your wife is very understanding indeed. But I wouldn't risk it if there's frying pans being flung - you may be on a slippery slope there!

I said I couldn't justify a new bike, however, today is a new day and I'm just back from Birmingham with a new ride. It's in slightly worse (cosmetic) condition than I'd hoped and it's a real mish mash of components but there's much to appreciate if I look past the paint and the dings :shock: in the TT. 753 tubing perhaps with Campag drop-outs, appears to be a chrome rear triangle but it's been painted :roll: Campag BB, Campag Strada Super Record? cranks, Cinelli XA stem & Criterium Bars, Ofmega Premier rear mech which is stunning, Gipiemme fluted seatpost, MA3 rims on a Mavic 501 hub / Shimano XTR??? hub. Low points are knackered levers and (not my cup of tea) Weinmann 500 calipers and a Bianchi Saddle and an unknown headset. No doubt another thread needed with a load of questions and maybe i'll harlequin this bike!

Not everyone's brew of choice this harlequin tape style, I just like it but I can see a whole world of torment if I decide to do it and no doubt 3 packets of tape ruined so i'm going to have a think about it :facepalm:

On moble phone so sorry about typing but I am on the lookout for some clean weinmann 500's. Shaun

Back