Raleigh Team 531 Lightweight - Arrived with pics

great read! that team looks just as I remember. as I remember they were 531 as 753 wouldn't have been strong enough for those old style point to point races! you have got the kit right, we used the suntour xc9000 with those weird rear cantis. I think our bikes were the only ones back then that stuck with cantis f/r as the trend was u brakes and roller cams on the rear under the chainstays.

durango":c5q19txd said:
great read! that team looks just as I remember. as I remember they were 531 as 753 wouldn't have been strong enough for those old style point to point races! you have got the kit right, we used the suntour xc9000 with those weird rear cantis. I think our bikes were the only ones back then that stuck with cantis f/r as the trend was u brakes and roller cams on the rear under the chainstays.

I'm intrigued by this post, were you involved with the team BITD? I didn't go with the XC9000 kit as I already had the XC Comp group on something else and XC9000 is like rocking horse poop :).

Anyway it had it's maiden ride yesterday on the way home from work in the sun.

Nice and light with what felt like a fast ride, a bit harsh on my wrists and I might have to add barends to give me some variation in hand position and the saddle needs breaking in, I did about 13 miles and it hurt at the end (this could also be me not being hardened enough yet), time wise it I was able to hit a similar time as I did on my Kona (it was faster on the smooth but a bit slower over the bumps).

Carl.

durango":239kbp7v said:
Hi, i am Jake i was on the team.

Nice! Glad it brings back the memories for you, It's one of my favourite bikes. As for the Canti situation you mention these were quite an invention BITD and supposedly more suited to our conditions than U-brakes, although I'm struggling to get them working well now!

Carl.

Back