1970's Diamant

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I can confirm that the mounted group is a Galli Sport group, as mentioned above more or less comparable to a campagnolo gran sport group. What the Sport group is to the Criterium group, is wat the Gran Sport group is to the Record group for campagnolo.

Today I've disassembled al the parts and gave the frame a first clean. I'll try to work more on it this weekend, I'll keep you updated with flaws of pictures!

Johnsqual":20q5ujdb said:
BTW, are you in Leuven? That looks like the square where the Studio cinema used to be.

Yep, goodbye anonymous internet profile :). You're in Leuven too?

Oops, sorry. I don't think there are too many stalkers on here.

Yes, I am in Leuven but in May I'll be moving to Tourinnes-la-Grosse,
on the other side of the Meerdaalbos.

Johnsqual":dbcaoefg said:
Oops, sorry. I don't think there are too many stalkers on here.
No problem, I've got nothing to hide :)

Today I've spent some hours cleaning the frame, brake levers, rear derailleur and the chainset. Pictures as promised:

The frame is apart from some scratches and patina in good conditions: no dents or tears. The chrome fork cleaned up nicely:

n5o860.jpg

The rear derailleur: as stated, it is a Galli Sport. Quality and finish is comparable to a gran sport. Interesting to work on!

2ce24x4.jpg

Chainset:52-42 in good condition, some wear on the back of the 52.

bjcqj8.jpg

Brake levers: cleaned up nicely. The original Galli hoods are torn but still useable, with a little fix to keep them together

2udvsyx.jpg

Wheels: Nisi rims on Galli hubs with original skewers:

n1f5he.jpg

fka1qb.jpg

I've ordered brown tressostar for the bars and I think I'll keep the black outers...

Got some great news today about my future job, so gave myself half a day of to work on the Diamant!

Just some quick pics of the work from today:

This:

syp8ir.jpg

Became this today:

1xza5l.jpg

So I cleaned the remaining parts and assembled the bike with new cables, grease and brown cotton tape. There's still some work to do, better pictures follow when the next work is done:

- bar plugs (have to see if I still have a pair somewhere)
- shorten the brake outers and guide them correctly (doh)
- clean and polish the rear wheel
- Galli toeclips and tan brown straps
- give it a final clean
- ride it!
- ...?

Just a question: since I'm planning to use this bike in the city, I'm looking for an anti-theft solution to 'lock' the saddle. Any idea's? I was thinking about putting the saddle in the right position and then ruin the allen key hole from an old seat post binder, once the saddle is in the perfect position. Same for the seat post/saddle bolt... Good idea or not?

If you mean by 'ruin the allen key hole', install the seatpost bolt then
drill out the bolt or something so the bolt can't be turned any more,
it sounds like a fairly terrible idea. What if you even need to remove the
post? (e.g. the frame is no good but you want to reuse the groupset).

A better idea might be to run a length of old bike chain through the saddle
rails then through the rear triangle. You could wrap the chain in
an old inner tube or some gaffer tape to protect the paintwork.

I think this is done in London by fixie riders/bike couriers.

Johnny

IMO that saddle on that bike is like using a greyhound as a donkey.... not to suggest that I am entirely guiltless of using greyhounds as donkeys... metaphorically, you understand... :)

Back