freehub swap help needed

riddim-track

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Is there a sort of beginners/idiots guide to changing freehubs and freehub brand inter-changebility anywhere on this site... or even the rest of the web?

To cut a long story short I've got a set of wheels built on old campag pattern spline Miche hubs but I really need to update the bike to either modern campag or shimano HG/sram spline pattern

47p2":3ig86p5b said:
Have you had a look at Sheldon Brown's site

Ummm... I had a look, it shed some light on things but I'm no closer to knowing if or how I can convert this hub.

I had these wheels built a couple of years back using a (stupidly chosen) Miche hub which uses the old campagnolo 8 spd spline pattern and just to confuse things it uses a shimano lockring! Anyway I spent a few quid getting them built with nice spokes and rims and only did a couple of tours on them so would really like to keep them for my new touring rig which runs modern campagnolo 9spd. To complicate things further the new frame has 135mm dropouts. To get me on the road I managed to put a new longer axle through a Pro-lite 'como' to fill out the 135 spacing. The 'Como' is a pretty strong entry level road wheel but it's never going to hold up with a fully loaded touring bike.

Here is the hub in question: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47930 I can't find any further info online about these except from other people having similar compatibility issues as me :roll:

For what it's worth it's a very good hub for the money if you don't need to run more than 8 sprockets.

It might be simpler to cut your losses and rebuild the wheel onto a Centaur hub, which seems to go for around £60...

hamster":2jr6vuk9 said:
It might be simpler to cut your losses and rebuild the wheel onto a Centaur hub, which seems to go for around £60...

Yeah, I've got a feeling it could be heading that way, has the Centaur got a traditional threaded axle and loose bearings though? as I'll need to space it out to 135mm

I think the axle is still the same, but I'm not positive. Worth checking the Campag service docs. IIRC it's at Chorus and beyond that they go to the alu stub axles.

Another option would be to run a Shimano rear mech with the Hubbub cable clamping mod to get the shifting right. Shimano hubs are stronger as they don't have the long length of unsupported axle under the freehub body - which might be an important consideration on a tourer.

I run similar on mine (Campag front, Shimano rear), except I stuck with 7 speed so the Campag and Shimano spacing is the same and the mech change is not necessary.

Back