GT Zaskar or Pantera ?

Yep me to, I took the bolts out and rode to the shops a few times then I just wiggled it of.

Bpool77":izn01jwo said:
Yep me to, I took the bolts out and rode to the shops a few times then I just wiggled it of.

Trust me - there ain't no way that would work on this one. I've used a lot of heat, and broken two sets of extractors on it......... and I ain't got arms like pipe cleaners either :mrgreen:

it's going to take something serious to get these off.

Haha pipe cleaners!!!sure LGF had/has some way of sorting this?Not sure? Get the big guns out!

Bpool77":1beiek8d said:
Haha pipe cleaners!!!sure LGF had/has some way of sorting this?Not sure? Get the big guns out!

All I can think of at this stage, is using one of the 'no handle' type extractors, and using an air powered rattler gun on it (to shock it free), rather than using applied torque (from a handle or long bar). Heat, dead blow mallet, long bar etc hasn't cut it so far.

It's soaking in penetrating oil again now, ready for another try when I have some more extractors to try using.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears :mrgreen:

leave it on its side and drip some penetrating oil or 3in1 down the taps and leave it for a day or so. then give it a go. clean the oil out first before the tool goes in. also check theres no washer in place.

Success !

Well... not by me unfortunately, but success nonetheless. Crankset and BB now removed - the frame is now totally bare ready for stripping the paint.

I phoned a really good local media blaster today (applied surface treatments in Wolverhampton) for some advice. I told him about the frame being ally, and wanting it polished after stripping - he said that he *could* glass bead it, but that even doing that would leave some relief in the surface that would be a real b***ard to polish out afterwards. He turned down the job and recommended chemically stripping it.

Has anyone got any experience to offer on this ? Logic tells me to avoid anywhere that uses acid, as it will eat the ally. I am thinking I need to find somewhere that uses super nasty solvents eg methylene chloride or something similar.

I could always use paint stripper myself I suppose. Nitromors seems to have got more useless in recent years though, so maybe not worth the bother for a crap outcome.

Anyone got a view what I should do next ? All advice welcomed :mrgreen: Even daft advice T'boo Ted :mrgreen:

So come on then... What was the trick with the cranks in the end?? (or did the bike shop take it out the back and it reappeared magically crank free?)

Nice find by the way - I saw it and didn't think much, so many low end GTs out there.

I used Nitromors on a 2nd frame I did for a mate. It took ages to strip it off. I literally had to apply 5 coats of stripper and rubbing with wirewool to remove the paint. If you can get it dipped it would save a lot of elbowgrease. Avoid caustic based soloutions too as that will oxidise the frame heavily and make polishing a long affair. Strong solvents are what you need really. MEK maybe or MIBK, just depends on what the paint is. They come up lush when polished though. Worth the effort :)

Back