Stuck headtube shims?

dan smith

Retro Guru
Dropped the zaskar off at the bike shop today to have the headset changed however they soon called to say that they could not fit the new headset as they were unable to remove the headtube spacers that have been fitted!

It seem they managed to remove the headset cups but there appears to be spacers/shims also which they say are 'solid'.

The headset that i am removing is a 1", i believe all zaskar's are 1 1/8" so that would make sense that it has spacers fitted?

Before i take it to another bike shop or by a tool to knock it out myself can anyone confirm that zaskar's (199:cool: do not come with some form of built in shims? I don't want to bang away at something that should not be removed thus knackering the frame!

The frame is in the shed soaking in wd40 at the moment so i am unable to take a picture.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

I briefly had a 1998 zaskar. Definitely a normal 1 1/8th headtube.

Really confused by this spacer malarkey if the headset cups have come out? Regardless, onto something I do know, and that is you need penetrating oil not WD40 to loosen things. WD40 wont make any difference.

WD is all i have at the moment :(

I will try and get my hands on something else..

The headcups that came out are for a 1" steerer, thus the spacers for the zaskar 1 1/8 headtube?

Thanks

Rampage":241tumvk said:
Should be easy enough to saw out?

Yes, this ^^, if it won't just come out with a normal headset removal tool, split it. I'd just file through it with a round file.

Rampage":2dld8o4h said:
Should be easy enough to saw out?

I was thinking of doing this but wanted to be 100% sure it was not meant to be there before getting more serious with it :)

Rampage":2dld8o4h said:
I take it your fitting different forks?

It’s a new build, the current headset was worn and low quality, if it was a decent one I would have kept it.

Thanks for the advise I think I will attack it with the dremel tonight!

Dan

Wouldnt mind a picture because i am also somewhat confused by this
The headtube spacers as you call them could be confused with steerer spacers,thats kind of how its coming across. To me at least.

Or do you mean that the headtube on the frame is 1 1/8" and the CONVERTER rings are bonded in :?

dyna-ti":1d4nuln9 said:
The headtube spacers as you call them could be confused with steerer spacers,thats kind of how its coming across. To me at least.

Or do you mean that the headtube on the frame is 1 1/8" and the CONVERTER rings are bonded in :?

I will post a picture tonight before I do anything!

The headset cups sit (did) inside the rings affectively allowing the use of a 1" headset in place of a standard 1 1/8" - At least that is that I assume is going on.

Thanks

Dan

dan smith":2sxif7dp said:
dyna-ti":2sxif7dp said:

I will post a picture tonight before I do anything!

The headset cups sit (did) inside the rings affectively allowing the use of a 1" headset in place of a standard 1 1/8" - At least that is that I assume is going on.

Thanks

Dan

So your changing to 1.1/8" forks?

Back