Bontrager Front Derailleur Issue

Is a proper mech, or one of them new fangled top swing mechs you're using. I think the old type have more throw :?

I think I've got an M737 number.. I think that's a Top Swing?

Like this..

ba_1.JPG

Don't think it is.
Top Swing = Frame clamp below mech
Bottom Swing = Frame clamp above mech (ie proper) ;)

Bottom swing ( yours ) also known as " conventional. " What I was after, however, was a picture of the pulley system you described on the frame.

Hey mate, yes I'll get a photo up here of the actual pulley for sure.. Just found this half way down the page...

Front derailer stop
Until about '94(?) frames used bottom pull front derailers. The cable was rerouted via a pulley (not shown) to allow top tube cable routing. When this change occurred the cable stop was moved from the rear of the seat tube to the front right.

I have the same routing as this..

112_1208.JPG

here you go...

this is a shot from an ebay auction...am hoping veloculture doesn't mind me stealing his image...i collect bonty pics cos i'm weird like that.

I think the image is of a 93/94 Race - it looks the same as my routing on my 94 Race frame. the later frame I have the cable stop for the front mech is on the rear of the seat tube.

the pulley is nothing special - you can pr. get one from a model shop and i seem to remember it was held on by a short m5 bolt. water bottle size.

Attachments

• mar26242.jpg
    mar26242.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,403
:shock: Never seen anything like that :shock:
The cable won't cross over on itself then. :?

no cross over?

nope it just comesdown the seat tube and then wraps clockwise around the pulley and then up from underneath into a bottom pull (top-swing) front mech.

at least that's if i remember rightly, it's been a while. i've got an old snapshot of my Race somewhere, it might show the routing more clearly with a cable in place.

Latest posts

Back